Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tubeless issue.
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I have a stans ztr crest wheel that is all set up for tubeless with a nobby nic tubeless ready tyre on it. Had it up to 35psi but over the course of the last 7 days it seems to have lost a lot of air from just being stood in the garage. I cant see any evidence of sealant coming from anywhere so where is the likely slow leak coming from? Any pointers as i am a noob with tubeless wheels.

enfht
    Free Member

Some folk are so tubeless-ist that they’ll creep into your house in the middle of the night and let your tyres down. Does happen.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Did you set it up? Is it a new tyre with sealant added and swished around?

If so most likely the valve.

As a side note 35psi is high, second best thing about tubeless is being able to run low pressures , but of course its personal pref.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Sounds like thats pretty high pressure for tubeless. Air will just leak slowly through the rubber anyway, I tend to add a bit more sealant when the tyres start to lose air significantly over a week or so.

nosedive
    Free Member

Maybe from round the valve? Try pumping them up a bit and see if you can see any bubbles. Have you ridden them yet? Sealant might just need a bit more of a slosh around

Northwind

TBH going down over a week isn’t really a bother- ideally you want them totally airtight but as long as they keep proper pressure for a full ride, that’s all you really need. Often they seal up better after a couple of rides, as the sealant gets into all the niches and it beds more perfectly on the rim

Junkyard
    Free Member

NW is sort of correct however if they are leaking it suggests that the sealant has not worked so I would not be that confident they will resist a puncture. Not sure though as none of mine leak – though some did intially when set up and I found riding was the best fix.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Try and waggle the valve about and see if it leaks where it goes into the rim, if it does it might just need tightening up a bit. I had this last week.

blader1611
    Free Member

The valve is in good nick with a new core in it and its on very tight. I thoroughly checked it for leaks but cant see any. . The tyre is nearly new and has plenty of stans in it. I havent ridden on it yet but i did do lots of shaking/bouncing of the tyre to circulate the sealant and i left it on its sides as well as per advice. Its also done a fair bit of spinning in the frame but will definately give it a ride when the monsoon here stops.
    The tyre is only at 35psi from the initial set up and hasnt been ridden on. I normally run it at just below 30psi, any lower and it feels too draggy over the grassy moorland and heather i ride on.

Edit: thanks everyone for the responses,much appreciated.

chiefgrooveguru

It’ll seal much better after you’ve ridden it. Going down like that over a week when newly set up is very normal.

rhayter

It’ll seal much better after you’ve ridden it. Going down like that over a week when newly set up is very normal.

This. Every tyre I’ve ever set up tubeless leaked air for a while. Ride it and it should be sorted.

redjon
    Free Member

Mine were going down over night until I did a good ride, even then they lost a little air over a few days. Couple of riders later and they are much better. I always check the pressures if I haven’t ridden for a week or so though……

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

30psi lol Try 20 front 25 psi rear bit more depending on weight

I leave mine at 40 psi overnight to make sure their well fitted then let them down. Just done a week of MTB not a single issue and same pressure on Maxxis HR and Ardent rear

Dogsby

You could try laying on its side for a few hours. Get a bucket and balance it on top so that it is flat and level, leave it for a while or over night and then flip it over and repeat. It let’s the sealant sort out any minor leaks in the side wall. I had NN issues a couple of years ago and this sorted it.

Dogsby

cloudnine
    Free Member

It needs riding.. Go take your bike to the woods

blader1611
    Free Member

Thread ressurection time. I took your advice and went for a ride and all was good so left the bike in the garage for a few days to see if it slowly went down. Went to check it this morning and the tyre is flat as a pancake and has partially come off the rim. Its a fairly new tubeless ready nobby nic with no evidence of a leak/hole anywhere,also new valve.
    I might try my purg which is on the front just to check its not a wheel issue,other than that do you think it might be new tyre time.

br
    Free Member

IME tubelessing used tyres is usually a PITA, as they’ve usually already got holes in.

blader1611
    Free Member

Is it possible to set the tyre up and then dunk it in water to try and find any possible escape routes or is it likely to be too slow.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’d give it another go. I’ve had new tubeless installations go completely flat after seeming to be OK. Just pump the tyre up, do the multi directional shake, have a ride etc again and see what happens, there’s a good chance it’ll seal up.

blader1611
    Free Member

Tyre keeps blowing off the rim now using floor pump. I think the bead might be broken as it looks kinked at the point where it comes off the rim, is that possible?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless issue.’ is closed to new replies.