Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • tubeless help! ust vs tubeless ready with stans rims which?
  • kayakboy
    Free Member

hi guys I need help from someone learned with tubeless setup. was looking to get maxxis minion f 2.4/2.5 front and maybe HR2 2.35/2.4 on rear. maxxxis site list lots varieties , many TR and a lot not. asked crc as couldn’t tell from their site which were TR and guy reckoned all the folding ones would be TR. I wondered what the difference between ust / TR was with respect to my flow rims – he was unsure. I ideally don’t want to by a super heavy tyre if I can get a lighter casing that will do the job as I don’t weight much ( for f/r – downhill duties, but no massive jumps).
    anyone have any insights / personal experience for me??
    thanks in advance as always…..
    paul

passtherizla
    Free Member

You don’t want the UST ones just normal tubeless ready. But saying that I have been running tubeless for a couple of years now and have never bought a Tubeless ready tyre.

shortcut

Stans is not UST which is a standard used by Mavic, Shimano and A few others in their UST rims and wheel sets. UST tyres are designed to work with these.

Stans is a tubeless ready rim, tape, gunge and valve that can be used with most tyres tubeless ready or not.

muggomagic

Check Nextdaytyres for the options.

drovercycles
    Free Member

UST = full tubeless standard with super-reinforced bead as used by Mavic etc, both wheel/rim and tyre must be UST to work together. Not all that common these days but Mavic have had UST tyres available for some time and still do them.

Tubeless Ready (TR) tyres will work in a tubeless setup/conversion with either a tubeless ready rim, or a conversion kit (e.g. Stans) or even a non-kit conversion (couple of layers of stans rim tape plus some sealant). Mavic have not officially done TR tyres before this model-year. Any tyre marked TR in the Mavic lineup will be a new (2014) model. Whether there is any real change from their previous tyres is up for debate. In our experience most of their older tyres go up fine tubeless, as do most folding tyres from most other brands. Some need a bit more sealant/rim tape/washing up liquid to help them pop onto the bead.

Surprised CRC could not tell you this…

drovercycles
    Free Member

Your Flow rims need a Tubeless Ready tyre – not UST. So either go for a 2014 model-year Minion and HR2 labelled TR or go for one of the older folding ones not labelled TR and take you chances!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You can also look at the LUST Maxxis tyres – as they are not as heavy as full UST but have stronger sidewalls that most TR.

UST and even LUST might be a bit tight so require the inner tube treatment.

For instance Maxxis Ignitor on Stans 355 fit very nicely, but were tight on Crests.

warpcow
    Free Member

I use Maxxis LUST on the rear (Arch EX rim) because of the stronger sidewalls. Another bonus is that they’re much quicker to seal, but not so tight that they make you go all sweary putting them on.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have used many Maxxis tyres (3 Ardents, 3 Minion DHF’s, 1 Advantage, 1 Beaver, 1 Minion DHR2 TR, and an On-one Chunky Monkey / Smorgasbord combination), mostly not TR on flows for years with no problem. Any Maxxis tyre should work ok tubeless with sealant on Flows.

Northwind

Some of the posts above seem to imply that UST doesn’t work with stans rims- the rims themselves aren’t UST but UST tyres still work well on them.

Generally tubeless ready makes more sense, UST is a bit of a failed standard, it offers something most people don’t really want (innate airtightness without sealant) and in return tends to add weight and price. So TLR has run away with it.

Buuut, Maxxis UST does have its place, since they’re basically reinforced tubless tyres- so almost like a halfway house between TLR and a dualply. A good option for downhillers that don’t feel like they need a tractor tyre.

Unhelpfully, there is option 3- I’ve never had a non-tubeless Maxxis that didn’t work well on Stans rims. If you’ve got the choice of TLR tyres and there’s no major downside then you might as well, mind.

Oh sod it, why not, option 4- Specialized’s entire Control range is tubeless ready and their Butcher is a great alternative to Minions, especially if you want a lighter tyre. (and made by the same dudes)

kayakboy
    Free Member

ok, got all that I think….just need to get on and buy some tyres and get on with it
    thanks all v much
    northwind seems a lot of chatter re how good butchers are – I might try them , can you get a soft compound like the maxxis super-tacky?
    paul

spooky_b329

Bontrager do a lot of tubeless ready tyres.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘tubeless help! ust vs tubeless ready with stans rims which?’ is closed to new replies.