Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless help please
  • tom84
    Free Member

Hello, thanks for reading, I have looked on this and other forums for an answer but i am still a bit stuck. I am struggling to get my tyres properly seated on the wheels that came with my Scale. I thought that my Schwables (see classsifieds) were a bad match because they went up but I was expecting that tell-tale pop into place noise and they wouldn’t do it. Riding them, both front and back came off in corners. I have tried soapy water and lots of pressure. Now trying a bonty tyre and that is also going up but not pinging/locking. I have had some luck with a maxxis on the front, it did pop and survived a trip to wales.

I am finding it hard to imagine what is going on. My only thought is that I have used too much tape and this is in the way somehow (using yellow tape wrapped twice)

many thanks

BoardinBob

I was expecting that tell-tale pop into place noise and they wouldn’t do it.

How much did you inflate them? I’ve seen me need 60psi+ to get the “ping”

Go back and keep inflating but maybe do it outdoors and put the wheel around the corner!

pnik

Dont know, but 2 layers of yellow tape doesnt seem like much, running them with an inner tube over night helps with seating i find. I wonder if too little tape rather than too much, are they at all difficult to fit before the pumping starts? Need to be prettyn tight, I’ve got a wrap of electrical tape and a layer of gorilla tape on my fulcrum rims and it still took a bitmof swearing to get the pop (and an overnight with a tube). some rims and tyres just dont want to play though, dont knwo what came with the scott, but it may be these are just a bit too small maybe. Ive had far more problems with my rear than my front which are the same rims with the same tyres so i guess theres some degree of variance. Keep plugging away but id definitely try more/thicker tape, the 1″ gorilla tape from halfords is pretty good in my experience.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve only ever use 2 wraps of Stans tape at the most. Normally start one side of the valve (about 6″) then go round once and cross over about 6″ the other side of the valve.
    Not had any problems with tyres staying up or seating properly.
    Have you got access to a compressor?
    Putting a tube in overnight at high pressure does help too with getting the tape to stick/seal well.

tom84
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I have been using a compressor to get them (only really playing around with the rear at the mo actually) up and they do inflate but as I say, they don’t seat. I have been leaving them over night at high-ish pressures and that should encourage them in to a nice even shape but it hasn’t helped, perhaps my job with the tape is the problem? The tyres aren’t tight on the rims without air, easy to put them on and off, could this be it? I felt like I was cheating by putting two layers of yellow tape on. I will keep trying.

In the process I have bought extra tyres that I now need to sell: rocket rons anyone?

stevied
    Free Member

The Maxxis I’ve been using have all gone on by hand so no tight tyres. What sort of pressure are you putting in with the compressor? Are you using removable valve cores?

tom84
    Free Member

It is a homemade compressor, I go up to about 60psi. Bit scared of more! Have tried adding more after with a pump. Not gone over about 55psi in the actual tyre. These are 29er tyres, all the brands i have tried seem a wee bit loose compared to 26″ and road fit but, as I say, they do go up, just not seat.

gee
    Free Member

Let it down a bit and squirt gt85 round the gap between the tyre bead and rim. Then try again. Sometimes you need to pull/roll the tyre sideways away from the part where it hasn’t seated. I’ve been using tubeless for about 15 years and never had a tyre that wouldn’t seat.

Stevet1
    Free Member

What rims have you got?

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve just had a similar issue with with a HR2 – never been an issue before but the one I’ve just fitted to a Flow EX was a right PITA and ~20% of the bead wouldn’t pop. I let some pressure out, rode it round in circles, pumped up rock hard, rode around in circles again, up and down kerbs, pulled it away from the bead where it wouldn’t seat and it seated in the end. Didn’t get the usual pop but all the air was in there 12 hours later (will no doubt be flat when I get home now). That was with a single layer of 25mm gorilla tape + stans sealant btw.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

From reading your post it sounds like the tyres are seating and holding air but they are failing when being ridden. Am I right in that? If that’s the case your tape isn’t likely to blame as that would simply fail to hold pressure. 2 wraps will be plenty of you’ve done a good job – my front presently has one wrap of two pieces as I ran out of tape about 5″ from the end of the rim and just stick another bit with a few ” overlap on in the gap and (to my surprise admittedly) holds just fine.

If I’m right, what pressure are you riding at? – lower pressures tend to be more prone to burping, try riding with the tyres at higher pressure and see how they hold onto the rim.
    What width of tyres are you running on what width of rim?
    What rim?

Northwind

Not all tyres actually ping, on all wheels- with my carbon rims most tyres just sort of sidle on in a disappointing way. Not to say this isn’t your issue here, just don’t obsess about it.

Mashing in more pressure to seat a tyre often doesn’t work because the air also forces the tyre against the rim harder, causing more friction. So if it’s on, but not beaded, letting most of the air out then refilling can do the job too.

tom84
    Free Member

All of this is great and really appreciated, thanks.

The rims came with a scott scale, their syncros xr2.0 wheels. I think they are dt but might also be alex. They are wider than something thin, like an 717, my guess is about 19mm? I cant say whether they have annoyingly deep cavaties or awkward ‘shelfs’ though because I have nothing to compare them to.

benpinnick

Probably not enough tape I would suspect. The rims might be a bit on the small side (ERD wise). Try adding a couple more layers of tape. Generally a lack of ping is because the tyres are not generating enough pressure inside (due to gaps) to get an exposive fit, they are just easing on.

BoardinBob

Potentially daft question. You have got Stan’s Fluid or similar in there as well?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless help please’ is closed to new replies.