Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless help please!
  • skindog
    Free Member

I’ve got WTB TCS tyres and rims and want to ditch the tubes.

I understand that I need:

Stan’s sealant (bung a couple of extra cups in)
    Universal presta valves
    CO2 cylinder pump

Should I get a mini compressor for the car? If so which one and how do you convert them from she car type valves? Any other things I’ve not thought about?

Cheers!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Get a proper compressor. A car tyre inflator would be like using bellows.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I use a compressor, but I already had one.

Some people manage with a decent track pump, put plenty of soapy water around the tyre to help it slip into place.

Not sure if those rims need taping, they will do if they have spoke holes. I use a few wraps of electrical tape.

carlos
    Free Member

Bung a tube in and inflate until the bead snaps and pings into place on the rim, leave for 10 mins, break one bead seal, remove tube, insert valve, refit most of tyre, add sealant, fit rest of tyre and inflate wit track pump. Not had any issues putting CM’s or Nevegals on Flows with this method.

Never used C02 but doesn’t it react badly with the sealant and reduce it’s efficiency and life span??

skindog
    Free Member

Cheers, guys, last night I managed to get them sorted.

the successful method involved Carlos’s method above:

keep one bead on and slip out the inner tube, take the valve core out, attach the track pump, get the wife to hold the wheel off the ground, vigourously pump until the bead begins to bed, try to ignore wife’s comments about making the same effort during sex, replace inner core and pump up to 40psi.

Is there any maintenance which needs to be done now or should I simply enjoy an exteded period without punctures?

Cheers!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just popped some Ardent races onto some WTB TCS rims, lazy effort with the track pump and a bit of soapy water. Refreshingly easy

robjackson
    Free Member

What track pump is recommended as I’m also considering tubeless and can’t justify a compressor just to pump up my tyres lol.

Sorry for the thread hijack

Rob

emac65
    Free Member

I’ve got a compressor as well,but 9 times out of 10 then go on ok with the track pump.

paul_m

If you look around, people like Lezyne do some high volume track pumps http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-alloy-dirt-floor-drive/rp-prod63810?
    (as opposed to road specific ones which are high pressure). Makes it easier.

lowey

Neat fairy liquid and a topeak trackpump. Never had any problems with that.

Northwind

The Blackburn air tower is a good tubeless pump- well, it’s a terrible pump, cheap and nasty but it shifts massive amounts of air easily which is ideal. I’ve got a compressor and it’s great to have but I wouldn’t buy one just for this- probably I’d build a bottle inflator or a car tyre to bike tyre adaptor or something.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless help please!’ is closed to new replies.