Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless help needed
  • solman
    Free Member

I’m having some problems getting my continental X kings protection to hold air, so far i’ve done the following:

1 – inflated the tyre so it pings into place
    2 – filled with sealant (stans) and shook it and laid in on either side for 2 hrs at a time.
    3 – changed the valve on rim
    4 – tried the tyre on both front and rear rim
    5 – done the soapy water and submerged in water to check for leaks.

So what happens is that the tyre slowly loses air over 24 hrs and is flat. I’ve never had this problem with other tyres I’ve used.

Anyone had similar issues and managed to fix it?

Graham_Clark

You need to find out where teh air is leaking from before a solution can be found… Stick the whole thing in a bath and look for bubbles…

Has the wheel been used tubeless before? If it has then it could just be one of the highly porous Conti tyres that are going around 😉
    If it hasn’t then there is a load of possibilities for leakage…

Pump it as tight as you dare and listen for air or bubbling (of stand fluid) … it’s never failed for me even locating the smallest hole/valve problem

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve had them go down overnight, just pump them up, should be fine while you’re riding.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve used all range of conti’s with stans rim tapes and ztr crest rims. they can be very porous on the sidewalls.Patience is the key, they will eventually seal…if they dont i have found that ‘painting’ the inner casing with latex than leaving it dry for a while really helps.

MadPierre

Try buying a tyre with UST written on the side?

solman
    Free Member

The rims are stans crest and have the yellow tape installed. I’ve used Bonty tubeless ready tyres on them and they seal with no issue.

I understand the Conti Protection have a tubeless bead, hence I never bought UST.

I’ll see how it goes over the next few days / weeks.

chiefgrooveguru

Before fitting the tyre I thoroughly cleaned the inside with white spirit and then water, to make sure that any release agent residue was removed. After initially inflating and sealing easily with 20ml of sealant it went down overnight. I put another 50ml of sealant in, spun the wheel plenty, went out for a ride and it’s stayed up since. I have heard that there were problems with porous sidewalls on earlier X-King Protections which have since been resolved by Continental.

MarkN
    Free Member

You need to find out where the air is coming from. Stuff I have seen are: valve stem to rim leak, spoke holes due to bad rim tape, bead to rim due to damaged rim and or bead. I have not tried tubeless with Conti’s but I have had issues with very porous Panaracers.

Check that the bead and rim is clean and undamaged and soap it up when you fit it. I use a wall paper pasting tray(prepasted paper) to check for leaks, big enough to get a good section of rim and tyre under water and not needing too much water to do.

I would be wary of using white spirit to clean the inside as white spirit tends to leave and oily residue IME. Meths or IPA would be better I reckon.

FuzzyWuzzy

Found it pointless bothering with non-tubeless Conti’s myself, the sidewalls are just too porous you have to use so much sealant you’re better off using a tubeless ready version anyway + when the tyres get wet the sidewalls can starting getting porous again.

teamslug
    Free Member

I fitted some conti x king racesport 2.2’s to stans crest with yellow tape. Went straight up with compressor and about 30ml’s of sealant. Yes they went down a couple of times but absolutley fine now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless help needed’ is closed to new replies.