Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless help, loose fitting tyres
  • bri-72

I’m not a tubeless newbie, set up a good few wheels nae bother over last 2 years. This got me stumped tho.

Alex rims and rocket Ron tubeless ready. Tyres are new but go on without tools. Real loose fit and means lots of gaps where the air escapes. Tried installing tubes first to get tyre seated but that loose they just come back off bead when tube out.

Tried coke bottle ‘compressor bodge’ to no avail but TBH air pressure not the issue, just not a tight enough fit of the tyre.

Would rather not bin the tyres, but reckon they are the issue. Ideas?

goodgrief
    Free Member

try multiple wraps of tape?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robowns
    Free Member

Im trying to help my brother go tubeless. He’s got Stans conversion kit on mavic 317 rims. He’s got a pair of tlr Ralph’s, but they’ve very loose on the rim, no joy with a trackpump. Think a compressor might work?

iforwilliams
    Free Member

I had the same problem.

Arch Ex rims, Spesh Purgatory front and Ground Control rear.

Front Purg’ destroyed two tyre levers it was so tight.

Rear GC pretty much went on by hand. Same- inflated with a tube and the bead snapped I to place, but every bloody time I deflated to remove the tube………..CRACK! Bead popped out. I got so fecked off with it all, I just threw the latex in there anyway and inflated it with ” The Bong”.

Seems ok sat in the comfort of the indoors, but haven’t ridden it yet, so curious to see if it holds…

superfli
    Free Member

I had this with panaracer CG soft cond tyre on arch ex. Bead kept popping off. I ran tubed for a couple of rides, then tried again. Bead stayed in place, allowing me to pump up with track pump.

bri-72

May try again tomorrow, wonder if can get the coke bottle to 100 psi 😀

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

What you need to do is get some thick sealant like the Specialized stuff and when you have everything set up as normal put it all round the tyre /rim interface then pump up as normal and the sealant will allow the tyre to be inflated . Makes a mess and squirts all over the place when the bead pops on so don’t do it in the living room .

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Get some adhesive foam tape to pack up the inside edges of the rim and give the bead something to sit on. Did this with my OO Fatty’s Floater tyres which were so baggy they just fell off the rim without a tube in there. Bit of a faff but perhaps less so endless layers of gorilla tape.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I always go ghetto split tube on all my tubeless tyres regardless of UST, Stan’s etc and if a tyre is a bit loose, I put a layer of double sided foam tape underneath the valve-rimstrip to take up the slack. I use Roval tape to seal the spoke holes first and provide a nice firm bed to prevent spoke hole blowouts. That way, the foam tape will not stick to the bare rim surface and is easily removable later.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

the solution

Put this stuff on real tight a couple of turns at a time until it’s a good fit. I think they do it in different widths too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless help, loose fitting tyres’ is closed to new replies.