Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless Guru has Blown it!
  • armyrider
    Free Member

I thought I was a tubeless ninja, having run them with no probs for 2 years. I’ve just tried fitting a Racing Ralph UST to a Bontrager Race Lite rim and it went up first time with a track pump. Nice.

Came back to it a few hours later and the tyre had blown off the rim and now it won’t go up, it just blows off again. Is this particular tyre doomed to failure? Am I doing something wrong? I’v never had this drama before and I’m busy packing for the enduro champs this weekend. Panic. Help.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Is the bead shot? I’ve only had problems with tyres blowing off when the bead was so slack it blew off a couple of times and shredded itself.

armyrider
    Free Member

It’s a brand new tyre, never been fitted before but I’ll check the bead anyway

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Could be a manufacturing defect then. Check your tape/rim strip while you’re at it if you have them, running UST. Anything that might stop the bead seating properly. Put a bit of tape on it and the rim to see if it always blows off at the same point.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i’ve had this with a brand new Kenda Nevegal UST tyre – i put it down to a faulty bead on the tyre, as it would not stay on the bontrager or mavic UST wheelsets i run tubeless or even with a innertube

xc-steve
    Free Member

Will sealant stick it in place?!

armyrider
    Free Member

The bead looks OK, and I took off another tubeless tyre to put this one on (took a chance and was changing mud for dry 🙂 ). I guess it could be faulty, I’m going to try another new tyre (Race King) that was in the garage and see if that works, given up on the RR for now.

coffeeking
    Free Member

would you trust it mid-corner at 30mph?

armyrider
    Free Member

would you trust it mid-corner at 30mph?

Good point. Anyone want to buy a brand new Racing Ralph tubeless
    🙂

K

Take it back as it isn’t fit for purpose.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Looks like it’s another case of bad ‘admin’! 😀 Personally I think those UST Race Kings defeat the object, they’re pretty heavy. If you got some nice Stans Olympic or 355 rims then you could have used the considerably lighter protection Race kings! and they wouldn’t fall off.

See you Sunday, it’s going to be hot, hot, hot! 😉

armyrider
    Free Member

Thanks coops – knew I could rely on you! The race king is up and holding, I’m guessing the Ralph was faulty

coopersport1
    Free Member

Thanks coops

Wrong again!

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s a brand new tyre, never been fitted before but I’ll check the bead anyway

I find brand new tyres are really hard to get working with tubeless, until you stick them on a wheel with a tube in, blow them up to about 50 psi, then leave them for 15 minutes. Then try.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Guru has Blown it!’ is closed to new replies.