Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless Gravel Bike Race Wheels – Alternatives to Stan's Grails?
  • gutsibikes
    Free Member

I’m looking for a set of light and fast wheels for a gravel bike, must be tubeless and Shimano 11 speed compatible, suitable for road and off road including the odd race. All I’ve found so far are Stan’s Grails and the American Classic Race 29er wheelset. Ideally I’d like combined weight to be around 1500g, what would you suggest?

franki
    Free Member

I’ve been recommended the Hope Tech XC 29er wheels, but they’re a bit heavier than you’re looking for.

Jason
    Free Member

I had some built up by Light Bicycle just over a year ago. Novatech Disc hubs and 45mm U shaped rims. Mainly used on the road, but they have had a battering off road a few times too. The deep rims meant a bit of head scratching to get a suitable length tubeless valve, but work great.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Definitely take a look at the Pacenti SL25 rims on your choice of hubs. Better quality rim to the Grail

GHill

Not in stock right now, but Hunt Gravel Disc sound ideal.

Kinesis CX wheels also worth a shout

gutsibikes
    Free Member

Thanks, I hadn’t come across the Pacenti rims. The Hunt wheelset could do the trick if they’ll be ready in time for late March. Is anyone here using the Hunt gravel disc wheelset?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hope do a pimpy carbon CX wheelset that’s worth looking at.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

DT Swiss R23

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro disc wheels for the past year, they’ve taken a fair beating on and off road without problem.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Kinesis wheels sets, road & cross are both tubeless, good weights for money

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Archetypes aren’t superlight but they are tough

ransos
    Free Member

My grail wheels come in at 1600g with novatec hubs and 24 cx ray spokes. Alu nipples would save a few grammes at the expense of longevity.

tang
    Free Member

I’m running ENVE XC/King/CX Ray.

STATO
    Free Member

Archetypes aren’t superlight

Archetypes aren’t tubeless compatible, there is no bead seat / it’s sloped, so they tyre falls off if deflated or run at low pressure.

I run old no tubes 355, if buying new I’d probably get grails as they can also run at higher road pressures when tubeless, which most others don’t seem able to.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m running a set of Reynolds Assults and a set of Zipp 303 firecrests on my CX’er.

Also have a word with Ian at 23mm.com, a very good wheels builder.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Archetypes run tubeless no problem. My commuter runs them, my CXer runs them, I’ve set up mates wheels with them. Tape them up and they seat really easily.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Gravel Bike Race Wheels – Alternatives to Stan's Grails?’ is closed to new replies.