Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless for the occasional rider
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hi,

I don’t really get a chance to get out on my bike as ofter as I like, once maybe twice a week, maybe more when my wife starts working weekdays…… 😀
    Am I best to stick with tubes or will I be ok with Tubeless if I slosh the wheels every no and then?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Steve

fifeandy
    Free Member

You’ll be fine with tubeless riding once a week, no maintenance required.

simondbarnes

I ride my mtb a handful of times a year these days. Tubeless is ace. What are your concerns?

momo

My MTB gets ridden maybe once a month at the moment, my DH wheels (Maxxis dual ply non TR tyres) get pulled out maybe 2 or 3 times a year with no issue.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Just worried about it “pooling” in the tyre when it’s stored, I’m not too familiar with the gunk that goes inside.

Cheers, Steve

mintimperial

Once or twice a week is regular not occasional, in my book anyway. I *dream* of being able to get a guaranteed weekly ride in the school holidays, damn…

I have tubeless setups that have sat motionless for six months or longer, and worked fine with nothing more than a top-up of air. The goop does sit in a pool but so long as there’s not a hole in the tyre or the bead has popped clean off the rim it won’t dry out that fast or cause any problems. Just check you can hear it splashing around every so often and top up the sealant when you can’t hear anything in there, or if you can hear a big lump of rubber rattling around.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I work away from home and leave my bikes for three weeks at a time untouched. I have two bikes and the only wheel that needs a bit of air every now and again it the one with a slight stress cracking on the rim. You’ll be fine and you’ll never look back!!!!! Its just better FACT!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Lovely stuff something to do in the coming months., it must be the magic of forum/FB but it feels like everyone else is out while I am sat in work…. been off bike since November so the plan is to ride once a week at least….

Cheers, Steve

garage-dweller

OP you are fine for tubeless.

Plenty of tubeless bikes (mine included) don’t get ridden every week for all sorts of reasons (e.g. too many bikes, winter bike,big bike, race bike, sod all time to ride etc.).

Mine will hold pressure for a good two to three weeks then a quick top up of air is sometimes needed. The sealant then sloshes round again and they hold air again.

cp

One of my bikes gets used about once a month and is tubeless. Fluid obviously collects as soon as you stop riding wherever you are, even at traffic lights or to admire the view. But re coats as soon as you start riding.

I find it stays fluid and works for a long time, well over a year. Bike is stored in cool cellar.

I use Stan’s fluid and planet x cheap NRG stuff.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Cool thanks, for some reason in my head I thought the stuff would go hard if left.

Cheers, Steve

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless for the occasional rider’ is closed to new replies.