Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tubeless – Flows on Hope Hopes + High Rollers (not LUST)
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ve got the set up above, plus a Notubes kit, with rim strips etc. I realise I dont need the rim strip, though I will need a pair of valves instead.

But, will I need the yellow tape?

I installed the tyres with tubes yesterday and they seem to fit perfectly into the rims, I reckon I can seat them without the usual soap and water. Will the Hope rim tape do the same job as the Stans tape in that case, or do I need to either replace it, or fit the Stans tape over the top?

Or, should I use the Stans Rim Strips anyway (leaving the Hope tape on), to save buying separate valves? I guess the only disadvantage is a little extra weight, assuming I can still get the tyres to seat with the Stans Strip in there? It would make it easy to change damaged spokes.

Liftman

If you have the rim strips I would just use them, either that or you will need the yellow rim tape

zangolin
    Free Member

More info here:
    http://www.notubes.com/helpcenter.aspx
    Yellow tape with separate valves – tape stuck straight onto rim bed or use your Notubes kit.

wolly
    Free Member

I think Hope Hoops come with the yellow tape already installed,

zangolin
    Free Member

I think Hope Hoops come with the yellow tape already installed,

Think that depends were you buy them from – some shops pre-install the tape as part of the deal. Maybe things have changed?

Frankers
    Free Member

The recent Hope hoops I bought from Wiggle had green hope tape fitted, not yellow vinyl tape

I removed the hope tape and fitted yellow tape and valves to make tubeless

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Frankers, I think that’s where I am, though sounds like I could use the Stans strips I already have.

So, what’s the difference between standard (eg Hope) rim tape and Stans yellow tape?

Northwind

The Hope rim tape that was on mine was just standard tape- not airtight.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

…I guess Stans tape is air tight?

Northwind

Yes- it has to seal the spoke holes.

Frankers
    Free Member

Yes as above Hope tape is just normal rim tape, and also quite narrow

Stans tape is airtight and very tough, it also covers a wider width of the rim

kevin1911

I thought you were supposed to use Stans tape AND the rims strips if you tyres are non-UST? That’s how I set up my minions any hoo.

Northwind

Nope. You can do that if you want, and some people think it’s better but it’s not neccesary unless you have slack tyres.

kevin1911

Good to know, thanks.

mactheknife

On the advice of my LBS i bought the full notubes kit for fitting a LUST Advantage onto a flow rim. But after reading on here i believe i do not need the rim strip, just the sealant and valves.

1. what happens if i install the rim strip with valve attached on top of the yellow tape?

2. I have valves that came with older rims that i could use, these are tapered like the stans ones but with a square top. Ok to use?

First time trying tubeless today so just trying to get it right.

Oh the LBS told me i had to use the rim strip but i have read numerous accounts stating i dont as the yelow tape is already fitted to my flows.

Thanks 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Non-UST Maxxis tyres work great with the rim strips and I never had any “burping”.

BadlyWiredDog

1. what happens if i install the rim strip with valve attached on top of the yellow tape?

2. I have valves that came with older rims that i could use, these are tapered like the stans ones but with a square top. Ok to use?

1. Nothing, it’ll work fine and also means that if you have to remove the rims trip and install a tube on the trail, your rims have rim tape fitted.

2. If they seal okay, they’ll be fine. The sealant’ll take care of any minor leaks anyway.

mactheknife

BWD, cheers buddy, i will put the rim strips in then. Im looking to make this as painless as possible 🙂

continuity
    Free Member

Gorilla tape is like yellow tape but better and cheaper.

ENVE use it on all their rims to seal.

juan
    Free Member

Oh the LBS told me i had to use the rim strip but i have read numerous accounts stating i dont as the yelow tape is already fitted to my flows.

Hummm who to trust really, professionnal opinion, or monkey from the internet… Though choice

jim
    Free Member

Hummm who to trust really, professionnal opinion, or monkey from the internet… Though choice

Well, the manufacturer sides with the monkey from the internet.

What do I need to run a Stan’s rim tubeless i.e rim tape, rim strip?
    All our rims need are our yellow tape (21mm for Olympic, Alpine & Alpha 25mm for all others) a Universal Valve Stem (35mm for MTN and 44mm for road) and of course Stan’s Sealant.

http://www.notubes.com/FAQ.aspx

HarYuken
    Free Member

This monkey says that you do not need the rim strip. I have had Flows with the yellow tapes fitted and no rim strips using 2 different models of non UST Maxxis tyres and have had no burping issues.

If using the rim strip, you are supposed to drill the rim so that the valve section seats properly and doesn’r protrude. However, I would advise against this as, if you decide to do away with the rim trip later on, you will need a special valve to seal the larger valve you have drilled.

When I first bought Stans rims (ZTR355), I used a rim strip and drilled the rim but I did not do my research properly. I didn’t realise you don’t need a rim strip with Stans rims and I wish I had not bought the rim strip or drilled the rim. I have since done away with the rim strip but sometimes have difficulty getting it so seal at the valve area due to the drilled hole (depsite using valves for drilled holes, which Stan’s also sell).

Superficial
    Free Member

Some opinions on the internet are dumb and can’t be trusted. I’m sure the OP can work out which ones he can trust.

This monkey here has used several Maxxis tyres including the (single ply, kevlar bead, non-UST) high rollers the OP was asking about on Flow rims with just the tape and a valve. No particular issues, although I used an old (slightly baggy) tyre that was a bit of a PITA to seal initially. If it inflates, it’ll seal. Once it’s up though, they seem bombproof.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

3M crossweave tape does the same job as Stans tape and is much cheaper. Ebay has it.

Usually, I run a rimstrip with non-UST tyres and just tape with UST tyres. It does depend on the rim though.

But I always use the 3M tape to seal the rim bed, so I can swap between UST and non-UST tyres.

BadlyWiredDog

BWD, cheers buddy, i will put the rim strips in then. Im looking to make this as painless as possible

Though like lots of other chimps here, I’m happily running non-UST Maxxis tyres on Flow with just the yellow rim tape… 🙂

Interesting conundrum here. Do I believe you, a monkey from the internet when you tell me I should trust professionnal opinion? Surely everything on the internet can’t be wrong, can it? Monkey votes for Christmas? Turkeys still disenfranchised after all these years… 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – Flows on Hope Hopes + High Rollers (not LUST)’ is closed to new replies.