Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • tubeless fail
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

guess I should have done my research first as I now find that Flow EX rims and Schwalbe NN TLR tyres are a known non-match.

So having failed to go tubeless on my nice new tubeless rims which now have a tube in them, I seek advice – when the NN has had its day what good tyre makes for an easy tubeless install on Flow EX rims? Maxxis Ignitor any good in this respect?

retro83
    Free Member

Does it say that on the no tubes site? I thought they were listed as okay.

ahwiles
    Free Member

what do you mean by ‘fail’?

A) it wouldn’t go up
    B) it wouldn’t stay up

if it’s A) – have you tried a ghetto inflator/bomb?

Klunk
    Free Member

i’ve had a pair of very old and floppy non tubless regular NN work quite well.

mattjevans
    Free Member

This http://www.justridingalong.com/news/2012/07/tyre-and-rim-compatibility-and-pressures/

describes exactly the situation. Bead is too tight to properly seat on the rim without a tube pushing it out (and so won’t seal tubeless), and a total pain to get on. May just be that my NN is a fraction tighter than most, but it really doesn’t look like it will work.

And a puncture would certainly be a nightmare so actually thinking about it I may need a new tyre well before the tyre wears out

danielgroves
    Free Member

I have a set of Continental barons that went on my Flow EX’ as easily as a tubed tyre.

Tried highrollers, couldn’t get them to seat. Probably because they came off my old rims though.

cardo

I run this exact set up with no problems at all….. the Nics went straight on with minor fuss, yes a little tight but technique over all out brawn works and sealed even without the Stans goo in them.

Northwind

Yeah, Schwalbe tolerances aren’t the best, I had a TLR Nic that wouldn’t bead up on my 819s (even with a tube and 100psi). Went fine onto my Rovals though.

craigxxl
    Free Member

NN tlr’s on my Flows. Don’t know how the EX differs

Toasty

Same, run loads of Nics and Ralphs on Flows tubeless here, haven’t tried Ex. Last thing I set up was a Chunky Monkey about a week ago on a standard Flow, went up easily, didn’t seem to even leak out any air overnight.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Flow EX is wider externally and internally and has a different sidewall profile. In other words, it is basically a totally different rim to the old Flow, just with a similar name

mattjevans
    Free Member

It may well be it is just the NN I have is particularly tight but since this seems to be a random occurence with Schwalbes I will look elsewhere

Maybe I should try wire bead instead of folding?

martinhutch

I’ve just put Ralphs onto Flows – no trouble getting them on the rim, no fairy liquid needed. Just hundreds of bastard pinhole leaks in the sidewalls of one of them.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Now I think about it I couldn’t get this same tyre to work tubeless on my old DT Swiss OEM wheels. I assumed a rim problem. Maybe it just was a problem with this particular tyre.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘tubeless fail’ is closed to new replies.