Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tubeless 'cross wheel set up
  • mayan
    Free Member

I’m getting a new “best” set of cross wheels (which I’ll also use on the road in the summer), and was thinking about going tubeless, at least for ‘cross, probably not for road.

What rims and tyres are available? are there any specific tubeless cross tyres? or are most people running ghetto styley?

Are the tubeless rims all going to be 29er rims? and therefore quite a bit wider?
    I’ve read a bit that says the wider rim is much better for cross as you get a much better cross section, and therefor less “balloon” effect which then gives a bigger contact patch and reduces pinch flats, but if I then use the same wheelset for road in the summer, will the rims be stupidly heavy / fat and give a weird profile with 23mm / 25mm road tyres?

Anyone got any recomendations for setups? I’m thinking DT Swiss 240 hubs, and was thinking of Mavic CXP33’s, but if there is a specific tubless rim that doesnt give any disadvantage, then I think its worth trying.

barn
    Free Member

Velocity A23 rims work with rim strips and give a great tubeless set-up for cross, they also happily fit 23mm road tyres.
    Great rims.
    JRA built mine – very pleased with them.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

‘Captain’ on here has just got some rather bling wheels for his new CX..

Hang on..

I’m sure he’ll be along soon..

Fishd

Think he went with a pair of ProIIs with ZTR Crest 29’er rims in the end… however, ZTR now do a specific CX rim: IronCross

mayan
    Free Member

Yeah, just found the iron cross, look very nice, but I’m not too clued in on the whole tubeless thing.
    As they’re arent many (any?) tubeless specific cross tyres with the special hooky bead thing, do tubeless rims offer much that non-tubeless rims offer? (apart from not needing the rim strip to seal the spoke holes)

A set of mavic rims + the rim strip still works out quite a bit cheaper than a set of tubeless rims, and I dont know what extra they offer?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

however, ZTR now do a specific CX rim:

Is that what your’e going for Dave??? 8)

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got Stans Arch Ex on my CX and they’re great – they hold air for months, never burp and give a nice shape to the tyre.

I used a rim strip before but it was rather hit and miss – sometimes it’d be great, other times they’d blow off the rim a few minutes into the ride. I did use fairly high pressures though (60-70psi)

pixelmix
    Free Member

Yeah, just found the iron cross, look very nice, but I’m not too clued in on the whole tubeless thing.
    As they’re arent many (any?) tubeless specific cross tyres with the special hooky bead thing, do tubeless rims offer much that non-tubeless rims offer? (apart from not needing the rim strip to seal the spoke holes)

A set of mavic rims + the rim strip still works out quite a bit cheaper than a set of tubeless rims, and I dont know what extra they offer?

I’m running Crest 29ers on my CX bike. Sealed up pretty easily with normal clinchers and a track pump. Probably not ideal for road tyres though as the Crest is maybe a bit wide if you are using skinny race tyres. Looking at the specs, the IronCross doesn’t seem that much narrower than the Crest, so if you want proper skinny road tyres, I’d be tempted to look elsewhere.

If you did just want to run a tubeless clincher setup, I’d happily recommend the Stans rims.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If they need to be a road friendly weight what about Stans Alpha’s.

mugsys_m8

Why ‘tubeless’ rather than tubular? Lots of choice of cross tubs and road tubs.

clubber
    Free Member

I have two sets of wheels – far easier and means that I have wheels better suited to CX and road rather than a compromise.

clubber
    Free Member

depends what you ride but for me, I’d still pinch tubs so tubeless is a much better option.

jonba
    Free Member

The velocity A23 now comes as a tubeless rim.

Mine are still on the delivery van so can’t tell you how good they will be. I change tyres a bit though for cross throughout the year so not sure if I’ll go down that route. Tubs aren’t really viable as I don’t just race my cx bike. If it is a dedicated race bike or wheel set then tubs are the way by all accounts.

Justridingalong are helpful and do a good range of wheels for cross. Drop them an email and they will advise.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I run arch rims on my cross bike. just looking for a good tyre to mate with it. Hutchinsonalso have a 28mm tubeless road tyre coming out soon which will fit well with the width of the arch.

mayan
    Free Member

Tubulars seem like a major pain in the hole, in my limited racing experience I’ve seen a number of folks roll their tubs, also the extra expense and faff to swap between tyres is not good.
    I’ll be using them for cross racing, then road training / sportives in the summer. The alphas seem scary light for cross, I’d be scared of trashing them.

As for the 2 x sets of wheels, I can understand that, I’ll have spare wheels, but I want the best set to be used for cross and road, and I cant see that something like a mavic rim is a major compromise for either?
    Swap tyres after the cross season, and I know a few folk who are running rim strips and tubeless quite happily for cross so unless there is something I’m missing, then to me it looks like the road / 29er tubeless rims are good for 29er MTB tubeless tyres and road tubeless, (neither of which I’ll be using) and dont offer much else?

clubber
    Free Member

and I cant see that something like a mavic rim is a major compromise for either?

Depends on how well they work both tubeless (cross) and not (road). IME, I couldn’t find a rim that did both well. There may be more choice out there now, particularly if you run relatively low pressures for cx.

MikeWW
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    depends what you ride but for me, I’d still pinch tubs so tubeless is a much better option.

You can’t pinch tubs

mayan
    Free Member

OK, i get your point now.

I guess thats just a matter of trial and error to see how the rim seals up with the strip and sealant?

I’m loathed to spend out quite a big extra chunk of money on tubeless rims when they seem to far more of a compromise for the road (and I’ll be using them on the road for 3/4 of the year!!)

Based on that, I think its worth giving the rim strip a chance, worst case I carry on using tubes….

clubber
    Free Member

Oh yes you can. Especially if you ride on rocky trails (though they are much less prone than clinchers)

Fishd

Is that what your’e going for Dave???

Nah, I’ve currently got a pair of XT 29’er (MT75) wheels waiting to be fitted. I am going to need to look into disc hubbed road-tyre compatible wheels though, believe the MT75 rims are too wide for most road tyres.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tubs only really make a difference when used in mud.When you can run them at silly low pressures(something you can’t do with tubeless) and its like night and day compared to clinchers.Still a monumental pain in the arse though(but worth it).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless 'cross wheel set up’ is closed to new replies.