• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • tubeless costs
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I want to go tubeless but wondering how much it will cost per wheel (DT 5.1 and 4.2)

Want to do it as cost effectively as possible.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks – but how much on average will it cost, If I can't afford it instructions might as well be how to build concorde.

mboy
    Free Member

£2 per 20" inner tube and about £10 for a bottle of Stans sealant.

ghetto method is just as good as any other in my experience.

What tyres you running though, cos some work better than others if they're non UST. Also, DT5.1 rims (and possibly 4.2 though no experience of these) are MEGA tight anyway, so can be an arse to get the tyre on, but once on no chance of them coming off…

Kamikirk
    Free Member

5.1 rims are fine in my experience with both Joes rimstrips and ghetto, tyre choice seems to be the critical issue – all maxxis so far are good for me (highroller, advantage, roller xc). Sadly conti Verts were impossible and had me quite stressed out.

I find a track pump works fine "if" the tyre is ok.
    Joes Rim Strips

Sealant

Hope that helps.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Great, running Panaracer rampage and Nevegal / Blue Groove

mboy
    Free Member

Panaracer = Need a new tyre, they DO NOT seal tubeless unless it's a UST tyre already.

Nevegal/Blue Groove should be ok, I've managed to seal mine, some people have had problems, compressor helps here though.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Nice one for the advice. Will have to get my hands on some 20" tubes (well some more spares) and some sealant and play 🙂

igm

Kenda reckon their tyres will disintegrate if exposed to sealant. In my experience they're wrong but others on here have had interesting bulges develop.

Nevegal sealed easily, Small Block 8 was more porous and took a lot longer to seal, but well worth it. A 2.35 SB8 tubeless is an amazingly light and fast rolling tyre – and because you can get so much of it on the ground at low pressure surprisingly grippy in all but the muddiest conditions.

I think the Schwalbe tubes can be bought with removable presta cores, which makes topping up sealant a little easier (provided you cut the top of the bottle fairly narrow when you opened it)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘tubeless costs’ is closed to new replies.