Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • tubeless conversion options
  • adrec
    Free Member

I have xt wheels with the sealed looking rims, and currently the specialized purgatory tyres with the bliss beading, which I think makes them tubeless ready. I’ve never gone tubeless before but I totally get the benefits so am going to have a pop at it. I guess I have two options. Either the 24in tube, sealant and Stanley knife to trim the excess, or a valve kit of some description and the sealant. Any thoughts on what’s my best bet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Find out what rims you actually have, all shimano stuff seems to have a long code that will explain all.

If they are sealed then just a valve and sealant for punctures, if not try some tape and valves first before messing round with the 24″ tube.

adrec
    Free Member

They’re the m775 wheelset, the only penetration through the rim bed is for the valve. Ie no holes for nipples etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

It’s a UST wheelset that, meaning no need to fanny around with bmx tubes- just get the right valve and some sealant and it should be good. No rim strips, no tape, nothing else apart from the valve and sealant.

Shimano sell valves though I’m not 100% on compatabibility- Stans say theirs are compatible, probably most universals would be fine tbh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

should be no need for a 24″ tube then. Can’t find a reference to the 775 but should just be a valve, sealant and washing up liquid mix. If it’s good then a track pump should do it.

adrec
    Free Member

Washing up liquid to lubricate the bead onto the rim? Will that mess with the sealant if they come into contact?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nope, I use some diluted in a spray bottle round the rim/bead interfaces.

adrec
    Free Member

Just had a look at tubeless kits. They’re not cheap are they. 14 quid for two valves is outrageous. I guess this is the sort of product where you’re going to get ripped off and you should just take it like a man

hs125
    Free Member

Or you could just cut the valves out of a couple of old tubes you are almost bound to have lying around. They work just as well.

Nobby

Superstar valves are £7 – not had any problems with them.

adrec
    Free Member

Cheers nobby. Good old superstar

adrec
    Free Member

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Easy way to check – can you see the end of the nipples inside the rim? If not, you’re tubeless ready my friend.

You’ll need some goo (I use Stan’s in my Specialized Purg / Butch tyres mounted on Shimano M776 wheels) and tubeless valves (again Stan’s, but make sure you get the universal valve: http://www.notubes.com/Universal-35mm-Mountain-Valve-Stem-Pair-P550.aspx. Mavic UST work too as the Shimano M776 rims are UST).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Valves from old inner tubes. Or new inner tubes. They’re a lot cheaper than bending over for Stan.

Add some sealant. Inflate, ride.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Valves from old inner tubes. Or new inner tubes. They’re a lot cheaper than bending over for Stan.

😆

If you want to go ghetto in an otherwise designed and proven system, then go for it. Personally I’d clench my cheeks and buy the correct valves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘tubeless conversion options’ is closed to new replies.