Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • tubeless conversion issues…advice needed
  • gonzy
    Free Member

so i did a tubeless conversion on a set of DT Swiss rims (not sure of the model as the decals have been removed)
    i used the Stan’s conversion kit and all seemed well.
    i needed more sealant so i finished the job on Friday night and left both tyres pumped up .
    the front is a Schwalbe Muddy Mary and is a tubeless tyre….no problems there. checking the wheel this morning and the pressure was still the same.
    rear tyre is a non-tubeless Hans Dampf and checking this morning it was flat .
    there is probably about 120ml of sealant in the tyre so it should have sealed any leaks. the last time i checked it was on Monday night and it was fine so in the last 48 hours its lost its air.

could it be that the tyre is too porous or could there be something else causing the leak?

wwaswas

They often need to be ridden a bit to seal completely.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Inflate, spin repeat

molgrips
    Free Member

You need to ride them around a bit before it’ll seal – preferably a full bike ride.

If it’s flat, just re-inflate as mike says and go for a ride. Sealing sometimes takes time, it has a lot of pores to get into.

gonzy
    Free Member

should i inject some more sealant in there?
    i’m tempted to pour some sealant between the tyre bead and rim before inflating to help seal it. i was supposed to go for a ride on sunday but the long haired general had other plans so its going for its first outing this sunday instead

sofaboy73
    Free Member

as others have said, ride it. the HD will work fine set up tubeless as i run the non tubless version of this and the MM at the moment

andymc06
    Free Member

I have oem Hans Dampfs on my Giant Reign. Gorilla taped the rims and the rear has been fine. The front has been problematic. The side walls are very porous. Could feel air seeping out of them. They sealed temporarily with a bit of a wheel waggle dance. I have ridden twice since and it is fine riding but flat 2 days later. As above really, just keep topping up as necessary and riding. They should seal eventually.

wwaswas

No more sealant and stop fiddling with the beads.

Just ride it.

Air is more likely to be coming out through the tyre carcass than around the bead. It just needs sealant forced into the microscopic holes and coating the inside of the tyre to achieve an air tight installation.

daver27
    Free Member

to repeat what others have said, ride it. leaving the wheels allows the sealant to pool in the bottom and not evenly coat the inside.
    i never understand advice that says you should leave them for 24 hours before riding.

gonzy
    Free Member

ok cool. thanks!!

takisawa2

As above, get them really hard for a few hours then drop to your normal pressure & give them a good ride.

The only tyres I’ve ever gave up on trying to run tubeless were a pair of featherweight Smallblock8’s on my lads bike. Even ghetto with plenty of Stans in there they just wouldn’t seal. Gave up in the end.

But some do take a few days & a few rides to really seal up.

PJM1974
    Free Member

By far the best advice is to inflate, spin and repeat as has already been suggested above.

One other thing that always catches me out is leaks from the valves if they aren’t seated properly. Air can slip past the valve port in the rim, sending sealant into your spoke beds. Very annoying. You’ll invariably get some bubbling around the valve stem though.

Otherwise, make sure the beads are clean (ie no old sealant stuck to them) and you should be good to go.

gonzy
    Free Member

By far the best advice is to inflate, spin and repeat as has already been suggested above.

i did all of that when i set them up. i also did the wheel shaking and bouncing along the entire circumference of the wheels. i left them resting on a flat surface as well.
    i got 2 bottles of sealant with the kit…each was 59ml and the instructions said pour a minimum of 60ml.
    when i inflated both tyres they lost their air after 1 day so i bought some more sealant and added another 60ml to each tyre.
    on the rear one i did notice that there seemed to be a lot of air leakage around the valve so i reseated that first. putting the extra sealant in seemed to do the trick. when pumping the tyre up i heard the popping sound as the bead locked onto the rim so i assumed the tyre was seated properly.
    i’ll put some more air in tonight and keep an eye on both tyres and top up on Sunday morning before i go riding

gonzy
    Free Member

Otherwise, make sure the beads are clean (ie no old sealant stuck to them) and you should be good to go.

the tyres were thoroughly cleaned along the beads as were the rims before applying the tape

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘tubeless conversion issues…advice needed’ is closed to new replies.