Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tubeless. Can I use Stan's yellow tape with any rim ?
  • I’ve always used Stan’s tape with Stan’s rims and cut down inner tubes with any other rim.
    Is there any reason I can’t use Stan’s yellow tape with ordinary rims.
    They’re obscure Shining 26×1.5 rim brake tandem rims if that makes a difference.

While we’re at it, is there a cheaper alternative to Stan’s tape that does the same job ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stans tape in my mavics, LBS uses it in most conversions

OK, thanks. I always find it fiddly using a cut down tube a second time, trying to keep it central.
    Tape’s a lot easier in that respect, it just makes it a bit harder to replace a spoke when needed.

retro83
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Stans tape in my mavics, LBS uses it in most conversions

You’re using Stans tape without a rim strip on Mavics? Or are they tubeless specific rims?

Assuming non-tubeless, any problems with tyre burping etc? (I want to use tubeless nics on a non-tubless XM719)

wwaswas

I think you still need a rubber rim strip/cut down tube if they’re not a tubeless specific rim profile.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s been done, I went with a strip on mine first time as it was my first tubeless attempt (and skeptical) The LBS was confident it would have been fine (and has done others with verying amounts of Stans Tape) when my 719’s get built this week or next then I’ll let you know.

retro83
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I got the tyre to seat and stay somewhat inflated with just yellow tape and co2, but bottled it in the end and put a tube in!

traildog
    Free Member

Personally I’d want rim strips in there.

bonchance
    Free Member

XM319s with three wraps, soap and ghetto inflator worked fine with Conti RQ’s.. No way without the inflator though..

Used the Hope kit by the way (valve, tape, sealant)..

FuzzyWuzzy

Gorilla tape is the cheap alternative to Stan’s

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just use electrical tape. 3 layers was enough for some DT rims, Mavic XM521 needed the best part of a small roll (about 30g) and soem valves cut from old tubes.

Decathlon had hutchinson tubeless kits (valves, strips with cutting guides for different widths and sealent) for £11/pair last weekend, not sure if thats a sale or clearance or what, but seems a bargain.

“I think you still need a rubber rim strip/cut down tube if they’re not a tubeless specific rim profile.”

And

“Personally I’d want rim strips in there.”

Why ?
    I’ve heard this before, which is why I asked, but never heard a proper explanation.
    Is it just folklore that people repeat because they’ve heard it so many times themselves, never stopping to ask where the story started ?
    Or is it from personal experience ?

Klunk
    Free Member

dt5.1 work really well with stans yellow tape using UST, TR and non tubeless tyres. All have worked easily some require more jizz than others.

singlespeedstu

You might find it works better with gorrila tape.
    It’s a bit thicker than Stans yellow tape and you can get a nice tight fit on the tyre with a couple of wraps around.
    I’ve given up on Stans yellow tape now it’s far too expensive.

grum
    Free Member

Standard eletrical tape is working fine for me (on Stan’s rims). Think I did about 3 times round.

oldnick

So long as the tape is strong enough not to deform and blow into the spoke holes inside the rim* go for it.

* Test by using finger tip pressure and common sense.

singlespeedstu

So long as the tape is strong enough not to deform and blow into the spoke holes inside the rim

I’ve had a double wrap of stans tape blow out through a spoke hole after a big impact with a rock.
    I think it goes a bit brittle after a while.

Not had it happen with gorrila tape yet.

zangolin
    Free Member

Not the answer to your original question – but another users of insulation tape as an alternative to yellow Stans on Flow rims – 3 wraps seems to be good.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless. Can I use Stan's yellow tape with any rim ?’ is closed to new replies.