Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Tubeless, bear with me on this
  • discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve got my tin hat at the ready,

I don’t expect this to any sense to some of you but to others it might.

I’ve persuaded a colleague to go tubeless, long story shortened he’s blown front tyre of once and back tyre off twice, also back tyre is burping.

A pro “works” factory ? Mechanic what every they are called told me NEVER to use Washing up liquid squirted on to help seat tyres, simple reason it froths up inside tyre.

Is this bollocks,

I don’t know ? As a General consensus what’s the verdict ?

It makes sense to me but most things do, he told me to use PVA wood glue pretty much brushed on like the soapy stuff you have daubed on car tyres when fitting.

The glue helps the first seal and doesent create a frothing hands that do dishes routine inside the tyre.

Myth or Mirth ?

wwaswas

bare with me on this

*removes clothes*

organdonor
    Free Member

Bare with me on this

Pervert

Edit: damn

discoduck
    Free Member

How’s it spelt ?

As in Grrrrr big grizzly type thing

discoduck
    Free Member

If I edit the title now that’ll throw everyone

Yak

Yes, big grizzly thing

nemesis
    Free Member

he’s blown front tyre of once and back tyre off twice, also back tyre is burping.

He’s blown what?! 😯

Anyway, are the tyres blowing off immediately or sealing for a bit and then going? It does sound more like they’re just not tight enough on the rim in which was washing up liquid isn’t going to help anyway. If that’s the case then more tape on the rim to make the tyre fit tighter.

Oh and washing liquid is fine (just enough, not gallons of the stuff) though I’ve never had the need for it.

wwaswas

Can I get dressed again yet?

discoduck
    Free Member

Nope sorry, Naked it remains as I can Edit the post but not the thread title,

discoduck
    Free Member

*And Relax*

Done

Phew, yes tyre unseating. About 30 mins into a ride. I did tell him to leave them overnight as well which he didn’t so may e that’s got something to do with it, I just had visions of him dousing the tyre sidewall in fairy and then having a sink full of bubbles in his tyre.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Washing up liquid solution in a spray bottle, as recommended to me by somebody who fits more tubeless than STW I reckon.

wwaswas

thank goodness.

I was getting some odd looks from the other passengers.

Northwind

Had the same thought tbh, seems it’s going to mix with the sealant, and lubricating the beads could make the tyre easier to pop back off too. But I reckon it’s probably low on the list of worries, when you take the tyre back off you don’t usually find any signs of issues after all. Blowing tyres off the rim is probably more a tyre issue I think. (or rim damage but that doens’t seem likely?)

nemesis
    Free Member

But if they’re actually seating properly and then blowing out on the trail, then washing up liquid won’t help at all.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always thought washing up liquid was overkill. I just wet a bar of soap and run it around the bead. Far less messy.

jekkyl

pretty sure the video on the stans website (them guys what make tubeless rims) features a guy using washing up liquid solution.

skellnonch
    Free Member

What are the rims/tyres? could be a build up of tollerances between the 2. Soapy water rather than pure washing up liquid, never noticed things getting rabid

dantsw13

I’d venture that he hasn’t seated the beads properly – that loud cracking sound at about 50psi (twice per tyre, one for each bead) is the noise of the tyre bead seating in the rim.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We did do neat washing up liquid as an emergency with a mate once, every time he went through a puddle there were bubbles 🙂

discoduck
    Free Member

They are Maxis HR’s on some Mavic CrossMax or another ?
    Not sure which ones though,

The train of thought was with some of the fluid seeping into the latex, the funniest bit was him not being able to find a squirty bottle so he emptied the contents from a cillit bang bottle, added a tad of Fairy then filled up with hot water.
    after he’d bobbed the tyres on he used the remainder of the bottle to clean his bike…..

I just wondered upon the train of thought, with only a little going a long way would it froth up on the inside creating pressure

njee20
    Free Member

We did do neat washing up liquid as an emergency with a mate once, every time he went through a puddle there were bubbles

How much did you use!? Used to paint it on neat at the LBS with stubborn tyres. Personally I never bother with anything.

bigjim

I tried a tiny bit of washing up liquid with water last week and yes it does froth a lot on the outside with air leaking through tiny gaps, I don’t believe it can froth on the inside without air being forced through anything though.

I also thought it was too slippery compared to soapy water (bar of soap)and might lead to bead popping off/burping. I’ll stick to soapy water anyway, been using it for 4 years with no issues.

The only time I’ve blown a tyre off (!) was through the bead breaking. Is he being mental with pressures?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It was about half a bottle combined with straps on the tyre and everything. Good fun though!

Northwind

discoduck – Member

I just wondered upon the train of thought, with only a little going a long way would it froth up on the inside creating pressure

Pretty sure it won’t- soapy water isn’t gassing off, it’s just creating low pressure bubbles from frothing and surface tension so the pressure doesn’t increase.

DezB
    Free Member

Doesn’t the soapy water (never needed it myself) only help with the initial sealing and not actually prevent burping or blowing of(f) ??

cookeaa

Crossmax you say?

SX or ST, different rim widths as I understand it:

ST = 19mm – Max tyre 2.3″
    SX = 21mm – Max tyre 2.5″

Is he trying to fit 2.5″ tyres on a Crossmax ST?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Sure they aren’t tubeless ready tyres he’s trying to put on UST tubeless rims?

Northwind

Roter Stern – Member

Nothing wrong with that tbh

wwaswas

I never had any problems doing this.

njee20
    Free Member

ST = 19mm – Max tyre 2.3″
    SX = 21mm – Max tyre 2.5″

You’re not gonna die (or have tyres explode) if you exceed those though. If you do then it really is another massive black mark against Crossmax!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I can’t see any way washing up liquid is going to be the fundamental problem here. 😕

PVA wood glue is going to leave a load of residue isn’t it?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I never had any problems doing this.

I think it depends on which tyres you use. To be fair AFAIK Maxxis don’t have any issues with it.

cookeaa

You’re not gonna die (or have tyres explode) if you exceed those though. If you do then it really is another massive black mark against Crossmax!

perhaps, but I doubt they provide the guidance on width for no reason at all, especially if your running them tubeless…

A wider tyre, possibly with a baggier or slightly stretched bead? some residual washing up liquid? plus a bit more side pressure/angle at the rim due to the tyre being “over width”… Those could all contribute to it popping off?

Bit of a “perfect storm” thing perhaps?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless, bear with me on this’ is closed to new replies.