Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • tubeless – anyone use gorilla tape?
  • sadexpunk

will be attempting to get my 29er stans crest (i think) rims sorted in the next week or so. done stans before, and also converted some old mavics ‘ghetto tubeless’, but it was that long ago i cant remember it all. think i used the ‘9p pop bottle’ trick for inflating so will have to dig that out.

ive got some kenda nevegals ready to go on, and am reliably informed i dont need the rim strips, just the yellow tape and a couple of valves with removable cores.

as ever, im trying to save money (it always ends in pain :-), and have seen some people say theyve used gorilla tape. just wondered if any of you use it. the yellow tape id need would be 25mm, and handily, gorilla tape also comes in inch wide flavour too, for about £3.50. and im sure if i could be bothered with the faff of cutting it to size, the bigger rolls would be even better value, but i think the 1″ size is the right compromise.

also, i know the schwalbe inner tubes have removable cores. worth buying a couple of those over the ‘proper’ ones? in fact is it possible theyd be better, as you could cut a larger section of inner tube out? would that help seal them?

thoughts please.

thanks

Bolt

Ye have used it a few times with no problems.

Also just cut the valve from an old innertube even if it doesn’t have a removable core. Get the tyre seated first then pop a small section of tyre off to pour in the sealent.

Bolt

sadexpunk

think i need removable for the ‘pop bottle’ method. got to get that bad boy up FAST 😀

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi
    I use schwalbe inner tubes with removable valves & stans fluid in in my winter mud tyres.

I have also just done another set of tubeless on my 29er crests with a set of Racing Ralphs. The Hope/crests come with a polystyrene type of rim strip. I leave this on & seal the rim with electricians PVC tape – wound around about 3 times to cover the width. They were a nightmare to seal as the tyres were so tight I couldn’t shift them over to the rim – despite using 4 Co2 canisters & soapy water. In the end I had to resort to my compressor! So good luck…

DrP

I often Scrimp on the fine details in projects like this……!!!

Essentially, I spent ages faffing with insulating tape etc etc, then realised that for £6 I could get the proper tape from superstar, and get it sorted right the first time……

A lesson there!!

DrP

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Schwalbe valves work ok, but proper tubeless valves do seal against the tape better first time.
    If you’re using tube valves, then a double lock ring can help to keep them in place

Schweiz
    Free Member

Cutting the tape to size is no hassle. Just do it with a Stanley knife whilst it’s still on the roll. (ie cut through multiple layers at once)

I use Tesa 53799 Gaffer tape. 1 round is sufficient for mtb applications. It even comes in yellow so you can pretend it’s Stan’s.

Conan257
    Free Member

I use 2″ gorilla tape split to give lots of 1″!

Took the green tape off my hope-hoops. Didn’t bother cleaning it up. Pulled the gorilla tape on quite tight, pushed well down to ensure it’s below the wheel/rim channel.

I got some valves from a Joe’s tubeless kit, taped under the valve then screwed it on. Add tyre, pumped up, added sealant through valve, pumped up again. Sorted.

Seamus
    Free Member

Gorilla tape Stans crest 26″ and RRs failed miserably for me. Ended up using the yellow tape and they went up no problem. Not worth the saving imo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘tubeless – anyone use gorilla tape?’ is closed to new replies.