Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tubeless, any reason not to use Stans rim strips?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of old 26″ rim strips from a previous failed conversion, they fit fine in 650b.

Any reason not to use them in tubeless ready rims, other than a little additional weight? Suppose I might need to drill the inner hole slightly wider.

The alternative being Gorilla tape or buying some stans yellow, plus valves.

Any impact on how well the tyres are likely to stay mounted at lower pressure?

Cheers

stevextc
    Free Member

Any impact on how well the tyres are likely to stay mounted at lower pressure?

I’d guess it would be more to do with your rim/tyre combo and if it benefits from the extra “filling” or not….

If they are already quite tight then you may find it worse than thin tape…

Kahurangi

Stans tape seems to be very thin for its strength and low friction, which would help the tyre seat. With a Stans rim I’ve never had to pack to the rim at all with a thicker tape or multiple layers of tape so I wouldn’t want to use a thicker rim strip.

I’m currently using WTB tape as it’s cheaper and seems to be very similar in function – yellow, thin, and slick.

HTH

nuke

From experience id prefer to use tape over a rim strip, rim strip would be last resort given it can fill and ‘narrow’ the internal width of the rim.

You could cut off your rim strip valves and use them

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks. I think stretching a 26 strip onto 650b has helped make a thinner layer.

Good tip on using the valves!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless, any reason not to use Stans rim strips?’ is closed to new replies.