Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tubeless and Co2 Inflators
  • ali69er
    Free Member

Hi,

Couple of weeks back I lost all the pressure in my front tyre, this was my first attempt at tubeless on the Bontrager TLR system. It went up easily and had done a few rides without losing pressure, I only put 24psi in it to begin with. Anyways, on a berm it dropped the pressure and I was able to slow it down. Boring and meaningless bit over.

I tried to re-inflate with a handpump on the trail but it kept moving the valve which let out air. Anyone else had this experience with Tubeless setups? Tips to overcome?

Kind of then wondered about a C02 inflator. Any advice on a good one for MTB?

Thanks, ramble and bad spelling over.

jonba
    Free Member

Mine have always gone back up with a handpump if there is sealant (ghetto and stans options).

CO2 inflators work really well. You could try this place

http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/ which has cheap cartridges although I prefer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truflo-Micro-CO2-Bike-Cycle-Pump-Including-2-x-16g-Cartridges-/350951466569?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item51b6566649

for my inflator

Garry_Lager

Depends if the tyre bead has unseated or not – if the bead is completely off then you’d be doing well to get the tyre back up with a handpump IME. Can’t see how that could be done really. CO2 might get a TLR tube up and mounted – I’d fancy it to work on my stans rims as stuff goes up really smoothly. Other rims I’ve used would be 50/50.

If the tyre appears seated, or just come away a wee bit, then you should be able to get it up with a handpump. But check sealant if it is deflating for no apparent reason.

CO2 is great for inflating tyres quickly – not personally encountered a situation where it was the only tool to solve a tubeless problem on the trail (although no doubt they exist). Times when a tubeless tyre has unseated on me are rare, and usually a heavy impact and puncture – which means a tube is going in anyway.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ali69er
    Free Member

The problem was more about the valve wiggling as I pumped and then it spurted fluid out. Have you found this?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

maybe the ring needs tightening on the valve ?

lucien

Co2 gas foo bars the sealant, making it useless for what it’s there to do

ali69er
    Free Member

Really, I have never heard that before.

postierich
    Free Member

As above Co2 seems to solidfy the sealant into a ball

pipiom
    Free Member

Yep, especially with stans….if you blow it up with Co2 you may be successful in getting it inflated but your usually runny gooey sealant turns into a furrball inside the tyre meaning it won’t work again……might get you home but that’s it…..can’t remember make but there is a new sealant on the market that is ok with Co2 ask your LBS

pipiom
    Free Member

Yep, especially with stans….if you blow it up with Co2 you may be successful in getting it inflated but your usually runny gooey sealant turns into a furrball inside the tyre meaning it won’t work again……might get you home but that’s it

rickmeister

Mavic valves have a small rubber O ring under the threaded collar to seal against the outside of the rim… I missed this the first time I put the valve in and it leaked.

Does the Bonty kit have the same little O ring ?

VanHalen

My non co2 inflated tubless goes fuzzball. Perhaps stans fluid is just a bit shit.

ratherbeintobago

As above Co2 seems to solidfy the sealant into a ball

I’m sure a CO2 resistant sealant has been launched recently by someone. Unhelpfully, I can’t remember who.

You can get Ar cartridges that would fit most CO2 inflators…

w1zard
    Free Member

I always carry a CO2 inflater for this reason. A couple of hints:

Locate the valve at 12 o’clock when pumping up to stop the sealant squirting out.

If the bead is still seated, then a hand-pump might work (try to pump the tyre up before it gets too bad).

If not, CO2 will get you back up and running, but will definitely set off the sealant, so change it when you get home.

Alternatively, fit a tube if it’s a bad flat or sidewall gash to get you home. This is a last resort, and messy, but sometimes is the only way.

For what it’s worth I’ve had fewer than 5 flats in the last 3 years of running tubeless. The extra faff when you get problems is more than made up by the lack of punctures.

Buy a CO2 inflater that uses non-threaded cartridges – they are marginally cheaper to buy.

damascus
    Free Member

When I first put my tyres on I inflate to about 40psi. Between 30 and 40 it pops which is the Tyre seating on the rim.

Once I’m happy its seated correctly I then deflate to 25ish.

Once its on it shouldn’t burp air.

Haze

I had to use Co2 to seat mine properly first time, as far as I’m aware it didn’t seem to affect the sealant…never had a flat anyhow.

Remember reading some advice somewhere, possibly from Stans, recommending if you must use Co2 then best to inflate with the valve at 12 o’clock with the sealant at 6…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I tried to re-inflate with a handpump on the trail but it kept moving the valve which let out air.

Avoiding the CO2 part this seems to be the issue, you should be able to tighten that up more to stop it moving/leaking.

nealy
    Free Member

Just get a Topeak Mountain Morph

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless and Co2 Inflators’ is closed to new replies.