Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tubeless advice required..
  • 69er
    Free Member

OK, after posting on the wrong forum 😳 :

Can I have a list of positives and negatives for going tubeless. I have suitable wheels and tyres, plan to go racing again sometime but generally just do long hilly rides with some arsing about.

Is it worth the faff?

Downside so far:
    It is a faff initially
    Changing tyres takes longer

Upsides:
    Fewer punctures if you use sealant
    Can run low pressures

Also what's it likely to cost, rim tapes (I guess), valves and sealant…ball park figure

Thanks chaps!

glenh
    Free Member

Your downsides only apply to converted rims.

If you use UST rims there's virtually no downside. Infact it's easier to put on / take off UST tires than normally ones with tubes.

geetee1972
    Free Member

This whole 'you can run tyres at a lower pressure' thing is a myth. You might not have an inner tube to pinch flat, but a) it is perfectly possible to pinch flat a tyre carcass and b) if you run the tyre pressure low and corner hard, your tyres have a habit of burping air and will eventually blow off the rim in spectacular fashion.

There is only one real advantage as far as I can see, and it's certainly one worth having, and that's a reduction in rotating weight. I love using tubeless on my trail bike (but not without the occasional problem) but I've never been able to get it working satisfactorily with my DH bike. And the faff of changing tyres, especially UST tubeless, makes it not worth the benefit on the DH bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kramer
    Free Member

At the same pressure, a tubeless tyre will be more compliant than a tubed set up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless advice required..’ is closed to new replies.