Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless advice please
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

So after pinch flatting on my last two Munro rides, I’ve decided to go tubeless. ATM I can’t afford to buy new rims so thinking of going for Stans rim strips etc. Looks like they do a complete tubeless kit like THIS

So two questions:
    1) Is this going to work with my current Mavic EN521 rims?
    2) Am I likely to be able to make my 2.35 Minions work with this set up?

stevehine

1) I’ve just done my X223’s; didn’t bother with the rim strips; three wraps of gorilla tape raised the beds sufficiently to inflate with a track pump. I’d guess if it works for those it should be fine on EN521’s

2) no idea

I was sceptical; but the bike feels subjectively better than before. How much of that is the tubeless and how much is the swap from IRC Mythos XC’s to Racing Ralphs I can’t say !

MarkN
    Free Member

Yes and yes.

As I recall the 21 in en521 is the rim width. The kit you showed is good for the 221 which will also be the same 21mm width. double check yourself here http://www.notubes.com/help_center_rim_strips.aspx

I have never had any issues with Maxxis tyres. Again there is more info on the Stans site.

RobHilton
    Free Member

No experience of your speciifics, but I’m using a rim strip on an EX729 with a 2.35 LUST High Roller (these go on v. easily I’ve found).

Works marvellously – inflated straight away with a track pump and no washing up liquid.

My guess is you won’t have much trouble setting it up.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks guys, that’s really helpfull. Gives me confidence that it will be worth going for and won’t be too much hassle.

From the link from Mark N it looks like I need the Rhyno kit which is for 28mm rims as bizzarly they seem to use the external rim dimension rather than internal for compatability

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah the ’21’ in 521 refers to the internal width of the rim.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless advice please’ is closed to new replies.