Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • tubeless advice please!
  • ibnchris

Hello all,

I am a newcomer to tubeless (well, I've had them for a few months but have never needed to do anything unitl now) and am not 100% on what I need to do to replace tyres.

When I replace the tyre do I need some kind of glue to fix the tyre to to the rim. Is it called tyre sealant? Also, are you supposed to put that green gunk inside the tyre too so that if you ride over a thorn it is instantly plugged? That's how I understood it – but isn't that green gunk also called tyre sealant?

Sorry, stupid questions I'm sure but thought since I have the tubless wheels I might as well keep them that way!

Thanks for any tips!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Now you're for it.

MisterT

presuming this is a genuine set of questions – I'll treat it that way.

the answers to your questions will depend on the make and model of the rims you are using.

some rims are properly Tubeless and conform to "UST" standard – these will have UST on a lable on the rim, and the tyres are likely to have UST printed on the side wall. if you find this present, then you don't need any sealant, but you will find it easier to stick to using UST tyres. (others will work, but it doesn't sound like you know enough to start experimenting

if you find a logo LUST (lightweight UST) or Tubeless ready – then you do need sealent.

but before you go any further, tell us the make and model of the rims and current tyres.

ibnchris

Thanks for your patience! The rims are ZTR Olympic. WHich say no-tubes but I believe still need the tape etc. They have this but do I need to replace when putting on new tyres? The tyres are XCR Dry II tubeless.

So by the sound of it I need sealant don't I?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Here is my quick guide – not extensive – just what I have learned so far with tubeless the last year :

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/stans-no-tubes-guide.htm

TooTall
    Free Member

go to the Stans No Tubes website – it is a goldmine of instructional videos and other helpful stuff regarding tubeless.

MisterT

aha – if they are Stans, then yes you need to get into the world of NoTubes…..

a great world it is too… so do as the guys above say, and check those websites out.

btw – you will defo need to buy a botte of notubes sealent, and I presume you have a track pump. last thing you need is a bucket, some soapy water and soft bristled brush.

then check out the websites and you'll learn it all.

btw – the best support you'll get for supplies and fixing things is justridingalong.com – great set of guys there in Sheffield.

MisterT

oh, and since you are using michelin

XCR Dry II tubeless

tyres then you can get away with not using sealent if you don't want it.

i.e. the tyres are designed to work without sealant, they are slightly heavier and more robust than many.

but IMO you'll benefit from using 1 to 2oz of sealent in them to ensure thorn/nail punctures are fixed without you being aware of them.

neninja
    Free Member

If the yellow tape is fitted you should only need to do the following –

1. Check the yellow tape around the valve hole – if it's not neatly removed around the edge of the hole you are likely to get leaks – a small round file will gently remove it.
    2. Mount the tyres with a tube for an hour – this will help the bead seat when you mount them tubeless.
    3. Remove the tube carefully so as to only unseat the bead on one side of the tyre.
    4. Fit the Olympic valve to the rim.
    5. Add a little soapy water to the unseated tyre bead and refit this side of the tyre back into the rim apart from about 12"
    6. This may differ from some peoples advice but it always works for me – add 60-100ml of Stans sealant to the bottom of the tyre through the 12" gap – then fit the remainder of the tyre to the rim.
    7. Swill the sealant around the inside of the tyre turning it flat whilst doing so such that the whole of the tyre inner gets a coating.
    8. Inflate the tyre to seat the bead using a track pump – I usually inflate to about 20psi then give the wheel a good shake whilst turning it through lots of axis.
    9. Inflate to about 40psi and repeat.
    10. Go ride.

ibnchris

Excellent – thank you all!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘tubeless advice please!’ is closed to new replies.