Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tubeless Advice Needed Please
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

Never gone tubeless before and brought some Specialized ‘Airlock Tyre Sealant’. It SAYS ‘Works Continously on tubes and tubeless, works for the life of tyre and it’s Homogenous (whatever that is)’.
    Shall I give it a go with this ? Says 4 ozs per tyre. Is that normal ?
    Got the sealant from Evans a couple of years ago and it’s taken me this long to brave it. BONTRAGER tubeless ready rims and torn between ‘stupidly heavy BONTRAGER tyres or ‘super light’ Racing Ralphs. Both tubeless ready too.

noahhowes
    Free Member

Depending on your rims you may have to run tubeless tape around them. Put the valve in nice and tight, seat half the tyre, put some sealant in, seat the other half and put like mad hoping you have an easy set-up! I noticed that my Racing Ralphs that I’d been riding non-tubeless had LOADs of holes in them when I tried using them tubeless, despite only a couple of punctures, so be a little wary if you’re tyres aren’t new.

Sealant should be fine if it wasn’t left in the sun.

simondbarnes

I personally wouldn’t use that sealant for tubeless use. Specialized have dropped any mention of tubeless in their current description for it…

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftb/tubes-sealant/airlock-thorn-resistant/airlock-tire-sealant-8-oz-bottle

fibre
    Free Member

I now only use Bontrager MTB Tyres after getting some on a new bike last year, not the lightest but seated with a floor pump and no leaks or pressure loss.

They are very predictable and have a good balance of rolling resistance and grip.

Good enough puncture resistance and seal easily, I’ve run XR1 in summer and XR3 for winter, 2500miles between them with NO FLATS at all! (flat every other ride on tubes). Weight weenie RR’s are now a running joke with my riding mates after a plague of slashed ones on flinty rides.

Like with disc rotors I’ve given up on weight weenie options and just gone for what actually works best. I’d rather have something that isnt going to catastrophically fail or force me to end a ride early for the sake of 100grams.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Strangely enough, using these BONTRAGER rims the bike came with has done my head in getting ANY tyre to sit straight, so my plan was to just stick with either the R/R’s or Bonny’s but I’ve had endless punctures in both so that’s why I’m (maybe) going tubeless !
    The Ralph’s ARE scarily thin, that’s for sure but they are SUPER fast. The Bonny’s improve braking but over 300 grams (each) heavier. SO, I thought, would NEVER hole. WRONG !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Advice Needed Please’ is closed to new replies.