• This topic has 36 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hels.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Tubeless, a world of pain and grief. What am I doing wrong?
  • timwillows
    Free Member

I am beginning to wish I had never embarked on this tubeless experiment, and I have not got out of the garage yet.
    OK, so me trashing a valve was not really a feature of tubeless tyres, but my incompetence. The reason for trying to get the core out was to add sealant. I dont want to (cant?) get this in through the sidewall as I really struggle to get the tyre off the rim – how tight are they supposed to be? I can shift normal tubed tyres with my fingers, but these take half an hour of wrestling with several levers. Getting them back on is much worse. Is this normal? Are all tubless like this or are there sane ones out there?

mboy
    Free Member

What tyres?
    What rims?
    What tyre levers?
    What sealant?
    Which valves (presta/schraeder)?
    Which tubeless setup (Stans/UST/Eclipse/Ghetto etc.)?

tazzymtb

as above and also, does sir have the dainty fingers of a lace maker? MTFU and show the tyres who’s boss 😆

timwillows
    Free Member

Tyres – Scott Cougar
    Rims – XT tubeless
    levers – park
    Sealant – irrelevant as its still in the bottle! (Notubes)
    valves – presta
    tubeless tyres on tubeless rims – simples?

luked2
    Free Member

Have you got steel cored tyre levers?

timwillows
    Free Member

nope, all nylon I think

burmaboy
    Free Member

take about a quarter of the tyre off the rim . shove the sealant in the gap. Lube the off bit of the tyre with your fingers and some sealant Pop it back on . Shake it like **** and CO2 it up!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got xt tubeless and maxxis tyres. Works perfect. I dont take the valve out. I just have an edge off pour in liquid then rotate tyre edge to the top so liquid is in fully fitted part and pop the edge on to the rim. Really simple no faff. I found tubeless easier to fit than tube TBH.

One tip. When you have the tyre fitted before trying to blow it up give it a few bangs with your hand on around the tread. I found this helps pretty much seat the tyre before pumping with normal track pump.

timwillows
    Free Member

Currently failing at stage 1, cannot get rim off!
    Is it possible that tyres are a bit small and rims a bit big?

Once its on it seems to inflate with a track pump, so no need for co2

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Tyres seems to be main issue. XT works fine. Maxxis work very well.

timwillows
    Free Member

Could be, but an expensive gamble to try different rubber as these have not been ridden yet

pob
    Free Member

i found those tyres tight on mavic 819s,they are crap anyway,wash out sideways on owt wet.:-(

scotbike
    Free Member

if sir does indeed have the dainty digits referred to above, this might help:
    http://www.parktool.com/product/shop-tire-tool

oh and stans explicitly warns against using co2 for some reason.
    – Floor pump / Air compressor. (do not use mini pumps or C02 to inflate!)
    http://www.notubes.com/support_detailed.php

Jamie
    Free Member

Sell the Scott Cougars and get some Maxxis tyres.

uplink
    Free Member

Make sure that both beads are fully in the well of the rim before you attempt to lever one side out

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

+ 1 for uplinks sugestion. It sounds like a small detail but tubeless rims have a flatter outter section to seal tyres this stops the tyres burping (de-beading) at low preasure. Get both beads off the flat section into the well in the middle of the rim. This makes the bead feel more loose. It is easier then to prise over the rim mabe 3 to 4″ to give you an area to pour in the sealant.
    Here is a link to the stans no tube site

http://www.notubes.com/movieinstall.php

Although he may demonstrate using different rims etc there is enough general info to be helpfull. Besides sitting down and watching a mental american may help to take your mind off it for a few mins. Once you crack it is simple enough! good luck.

oldnick

Lots of soapy water works for me (in so many areas of life…).

MX tyre levers are solid steel and 12″ long, last resort? 😉

I find it easier to get the bead into the well of the rim with the wheel laying on its side on a bucket (usually the one with the soapy water in it).

Good luck, its well worth it (no punctures in over 3 years).

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Ditch the tyres, running the risk of becomming an utter bore… 819 rims+conti rear+maxis front nothing but joy. In fact, so reliable it’s a bore!

At least having a puncture now and again used to be interesting 😛

Now you just want to rip my head off, sorry.

I’ve not seen many folks using scott tubeless, are they on wiggle’s or CRC’s ‘Best Sellers’? Always a good indicator 😉

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Previous post was a bit pants so if you can make your way to Chesterfield, I’ll gladly help if I can… u could try my tyres etc.

Hope you do manage to sort, coz once you do it really does enhance your xc experience.

LT

mboy
    Free Member

No experience of Scott tubeless tyres I’m afraid. But some tyres do have tighter beads than others indeed.

Should still be able to get them on and off ok though with judicious use of a couple of tyre levers…

timwillows
    Free Member

Just watched the video. Something is clearly different, my experience of wrestling the tyres onto the rims does not accord with Stan’s.
    Thanks for the advice about the tyres, sounds like I have bought ‘duds’….. Anyone want to but some un-used tyres? 😀

jwt
    Free Member

go back to tubes……………. 😉

shortcut

Ust tyres are the answer with ust rims!

molgrips
    Free Member

Try popping the bead all the way round into the middle of the rim – some rims have a well in the middle that will provide enough slack.

Oh and I dunno what’s wrong with CO2 and stans – been using it for years no issues.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Assume you have UST version of tyre?

Scott Cougar 2.25 UST Tubeless Folding Tyre 66Tpi – BUY ONE GET ONE FREE

TBH I have never heard of them. Go Maxxis Advantage 2.1 LUST or Ignitor 2.35. They fit on my XT rims easy.

timwillows
    Free Member

UST version
    Think I know why they were going cheap, I paid £25 for the pair, feeling like I’ve been done 😕

saladdodger
    Free Member

Just fitted some Specailized 2bliss tyres to my bikes

XM819’s stans tubeless
    XC717’s getto tubeless

All 4 tyres inflated a piece of piss with a track pump without soapy water

previous attempts with Schwables NN,RR Kenda blue groove and nevegal were all a pain in the arse took an age to seat and inflate

psychle
    Free Member

just spent a whole day getting Fat Alberts to seat on my Traversees… was only the rear that gave me grief, finally seated on probably the 10th attempt of the day, moved on to the front and it went up straight away! weird…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Would not now go back to tubes – tubeless is the way to go.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

timwillows, how are you getting on?

timwillows
    Free Member

Bit the bullet, ordered some Maxxis and awaiting delivery.
    Will puy the Scott’s on ebay 🙂

mildred

The Scotts are fine – I’ve just fitted some on 819’s and although they were tight, plenty of soapy water made them very easy.

timwillows
    Free Member

Mildred, do you need some spares? Fitted, inflated but never ridden
    Perhaps they suit 819s better, they were ridiculous on XTs and far too much effort to get on or off even with lots of soapy water.

mildred

Yes I would be interested – I’ve emailed you.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Make sure tyre edges are in the central bit of the rim, where the rim tape is.

If the tyre is against the edge of the rim, it will be a snug fit and hard to remove as from the central section to the edge of the rim, I think rims ramp up a bit in diametre towards the sides or all our tyres would be popping off on every corner.

hels
    Free Member

I am sorry, but I have to rebut the point about good sales being an indicator of quality – have the seen the pop music charts ? Read Heat magazine ? High on CRC list means people are buying it, not that it’s good.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless, a world of pain and grief. What am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.