Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • tubeless 29er/CX rims – a single set for both?
  • 2tyred

I ride singlespeed CX and MTB, currently looking to build a clincher wheelset that I can use on both, separate tyres obv. Hubs are no problem, but can’t decide on rims.

Ideally I want to have a tubeless setup on the MTB (with minimal faff) and either tubes or tubeless for CX (without the fear of not being able to get the tyre off the rim in the middle of nowhere should I need to).

I had been thinking Crests but the range of CX tyres – I don’t want width greater than 35mm – that I could realistically get on or off without too much trouble seems worryingly small.

Is this just a daft idea (and really I need two sets of wheels), or has anyone managed to do this easily enough?

tlr

I stuck my mtb wheels (ZTR hubs with Crest rims) on my CX bike for the 3 Peaks and some training as they were much lighter than my CX wheels – no problems at all.

I used Schwalbe Land Cruisers and Racing Ralphs (32) on the CX bike with the Crests. To be fair I didn’t consider that their might be any issues, I just stuck them on and they worked.

2tyred

Nice one tlr, you’ve described exactly what I want them for! Landcruisers were my 3 Peaks tyres last year.

Did you use tubes with the CX tyres? Did they go on and off easily enough?

simondbarnes

I use Crests on my mtb and my cross bike. 2.3 Purgatory / 2.1 Ground Control on mtb, Vittoria Cross XG Pro on my cross bike. All tubeless.

bigrich

I use hope tech xc 29ers.

recommended.

jonba
    Free Member

Crest on my 29er are good and would be fine on a cx bike. I’ve never had an issue fitting tyres. Despite the horror stories I don’t think I’ve even used a tyre lever on them.

tlr

I don’t recall any issues, so they must have been fine.

I run the MTB tubeless, but the cx Tyres tubed, mainly because of the pressures needed for the 3 Peaks.

2tyred

Thanks tlr, exactly what I’m hoping to do.

Cheers all!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘tubeless 29er/CX rims – a single set for both?’ is closed to new replies.