Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless
  • montgomery
    Free Member

Is there an idiot’s guide anywhere to the current state of tubeless technology – tyres, rims, pumps, pressures, sealants, etc?

chrishc777
    Free Member

I recently went tubeless, couldn’t find such a guide… Just do lots of googling. Find out if your rims are tubeless ready and go from there

core

Google your specific combination, something usually comes up.

I read a few, turns out my rims aren’t ideal, had a bash anyway, worked.

De-burred spoke holes, 2 layers of 1″ gorilla tape, tubeless valve, 2 scoops of stans (29er), Aldi track pump, went up first time, did the shakey, spinny thing, lost a few psi first night, added more air, went for a ride, no burps (was mostly fire road bashing), fine ever since.

Sun Ringle Inferno 25 with non tubeless Conti X King.

takisawa2

Just do it ghetto style, with a tube two sizes down.
    It pretty much seals from the off, regardless of rim or tyre.
    Did my FS with Gorilla tape & valves etc, but it was a lot of faffing about. Ended up taking it into the lab at work, where even that was a struggle to get it inflated from an industrial airline.
    (Folding 3C Minions on Mavic something’s).

Did the 27.5+ wheel for my other bike a couple of weeks ago & went back to ghetto. Straight up with an old track pump, no faffing. For the few grams weight saving, I’ll just use a split tube from now on. That was a WTB Trailblaster, on a cheapo Alex rim).
    Fluid wise, I used Stans.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I found lots of people saying Infernos wouldn’t work as well but mine went up fine too

garage-dweller

Another “bmx tube” ghetto user here.

I Just put it over normal rim tape, added sealant, soapy beads & a blast of co2. Did use tubeless ready tyre but otherwise a doddle.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I used stans strips. Could have done it ghetto but got the strips cheap at LBS

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Sun Ringle Inferno 25 with non tubeless Conti X King.

I found lots of people saying Infernos wouldn’t work as well but mine went up fine too

Same rims as me.

I’ve just given mine to my flatmate who works in a lbs to tubeless up. Hopefully he doesn’t have any problems with them, was planning on riding later today 😀

whatnobeer
    Free Member

And fwiw, they went very easily apparently, fair enough they had a compressor, but no issues. Gorilla Tape instead of Stans, proper set of tubeless valves and no problem.

montgomery
    Free Member

Hmm, done some googling and, lacking a compressor, it all sounds a bit of a ball-ache. I’m getting thorn punctures where I’m riding at the moment; probably just go with some sealant filled tubes for now and do tubeless properly next time I get new wheels. Thanks anyway.

takisawa2

Seriously, it’s about the best 30 mins you can spend on your bike.
    Once done your thorn worries are over. 🙂
    Now, go buy a track pump, a pair of 20″ tubes & some Stans fluid…

core

Honestly, have a go, if you do it ghetto, especially with gorilla tape which is dirt cheap, it doesn’t cost bugger all, and is pretty simple, I’ve always got them inflated with a track pump, on gorilla tape & stans rim strips.

Thorn punctures is the main reason I use them, you’ll be amazed how many thorns that you never knew about are in your tyre when you take it off the rim in the future.

Muke
    Free Member

Ghetto tube setup like they said ^^^

[video]https://youtu.be/ByBAItDM3Ws[/video]

it all sounds a bit of a ball-ache

Not really, depends how bothered you are about punctures

montgomery
    Free Member

OK, vid looks straightforward enough, might try that next time I put a new tyre on. Trouble is, I’m old enough to remember this…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.