Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)
  • Tube drivers – bunch of *****
  • ourmaninthenorth

I suspect

will be lining up these

specialknees
    Free Member

Sounds fair to me.
    Modern businesses shaft their employees. Good to see it work the other way.

I’m guessing you don’t have to pay the extortionate amount they charge for tube fares?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I reckon the equal pay commission should do something like this, worldwide of course as it needs to be now adays. ps (thinking hard burns more calories than you think)

Average pay per hour in Country/County/Area * (Calories burnt per hour of work + Calories burnt per year of education(or average calories need to be burnt to attain exams grades)) * Danger in job * vitalness factor * responsibility of work = Average pay for that type of work

This would give an average pay for that type of job and employers could pay up to say twice that amount or down to half that amount.

Obviously you would need to rate Danger in job/vitalness factor and responsibility of work

I think Danger in Job could quite easily be worked out from casualty figures.

Responsibilty would need to be rated on how many people you are directly responsible for. ie School Teacher 30 / Train Driver on average 100 Research Scientist 1.

Then Vitalness is obviously the hardness one to rate maybe something to do with average GDP creation per hours work ?

I reckon something like Oil Rig Manger would work out to be the best paid.

Ie Lots of education needed/very dangerous/lots with responsibility and vital to the economy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GlitterGary
    Free Member

For all the whingers:

If you all joined your trade union, so they had 100% membership, or even close to that, then everyone might be on treble time and a day in lieu for working on Boxing Day.

Just a thought.

Good on ’em I say.

Flaperon

I’m rostered to work Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Eve / Day this year and accept it as bad luck and part of the job. Don’t get anything extra for the days in question either.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’m rostered to work Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Eve / Day this year and accept it as bad luck and part of the job. Don’t get anything extra for the days in question either.

But if you were part of a union that was trying to organise something extra for you would you support them ?

hora
    Free Member

are you working boxing day?

Doubletime I could understand (or just take it as holiday and not work).

But why would anyone want 4days pay for one days work?

Who do they think they are? Union Leaders?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

But why would anyone want 4days pay for one days work

A footballer ?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

But why would anyone want 40 days pay for one days work

A banker?

hora
    Free Member

A footballer ?

Do you think footballers turn up for match day then disapear until the next match? 🙄

Police/emergency services, nurses etc don’t get a choice. They do it.

Sadly I wish they could get time in lieu if they worked Christmas day etc 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

Greedy buggers 😡

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Oh, that’s ok then, we should just accept it.

Sadly I wish they could get time in lieu if they worked Christmas day etc

If they all joined their union and campaigned for such things, they could.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Do you think footballers turn up for match day then disapear until the next match?

No course I dont ! I love footy and know what hard work they must of put in a kids. But once they make it to professional you can only train for so long each day.

I cant see they can train for more than half a day (4 -5 hours) for 3 or 4 days a week. They will need say 1 or 2 rest day a week. And then maybe either 1 or 2 match days where most of their work is actually travelling to the game.

Sancho
    Free Member

It’s a classic example of unions wielding too much power.
    Im not arguing for the bankers.

However, I think its poor to be making stupid demands like this and then holding the employer to ransom.

just stupid in my view.

Coyote
    Free Member

If you all joined your trade union, so they had 100% membership, or even close to that, then everyone might be on treble time and a day in lieu for working on Boxing Day.

Of course these fantastic conditions for all would come at no extra cost. Anyway, I’m with Binners on this one. Why would you want to travel round on the underground when there’s still gluttony to be had at home?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member

Just ‘cos you are happy to be rodgered by your bosses doesn’t mean everyone has to

Sadly I wish they could get time in lieu if they worked Christmas day etc

Guess what – they get time and 60% plus a day in lieu.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Of course these fantastic conditions for all would come at no extra cost

If they reduced all these peoples pay to say £100,000 that would go someway.

Peter Hendy, Commissioner: £332,276
    Steve Allen, Managing Director, Finance: £268,982
    Mike Brown, Managing Director, London Underground: £285,230
    Howard Carter, General Counsel: £219,156
    Leon Daniels, Managing Director, Surface Transport: £97,000
    Michèle Dix, Managing Director, Planning: £147,766
    Vernon Everitt, Managing Director, Group Marketing and Communications: £230,310
    Sarah Atkins, Commercial Director, Tube Lines: £188,476
    Ian Campbell, Chief Information Officer: £166,065
    Howard Collins, Chief Operating Officer, London Underground: £202,281
    Stephen Critchley, Chief Finance Officer: £179,488
    Frank Douglas, Group Human Resources Director: £192,387
    Robert Doyle, Head of Track and Signals, London Underground: £175,119
    Gerald Duffy, Director of Employee Relations, London Underground: £174,067
    Garrett Emmerson, Chief Operating Officer Streets, Surface Transport: £182,675
    David Hendry, Finance Director, Surface Transport: £179,348
    Philip Hufton, Asset Performance Director, London Underground: £284,626
    Richard Parry, Strategy and Commercial Director, London Underground: £217,859
    Ben Plowden, Director of Better Routes and Places, Surface Transport: £176,777
    Peter Regan, Corporate Finance Director: £220,877
    Geoff Virrels, Director of Projects, Tube Lines: £131,095
    David Waboso, Director of Capital Programmes, London Underground: £203,592
    Terry Morgan, Non-executive Chairman, Crossrail: £251, 632
    Rob Holden, Chief Executive, Crossrail: £857, 134
    David Allen, Finance Director, Crossrail: £268,842
    Neil Farmer, IT Director, Crossrail: £169,567
    Andy Mitchell, Programme Director, Crossrail: £326,981

If you reduced Peter Hendy, Commissioner for TFL £332,276 pay to £100,000 you would have £232,276. TFL has 4,064 staff you could give each of them a £60 pay increase. (including Peter)

Or if you reduced Rob Holden, Chief Executive, Crossrail: £857, 134 pay to 100,000 you could give them £186.30 pay rise.

Im sure if you added them all together you get like a grand pay rise for everyone.

Flaperon

But if you were part of a union that was trying to organise something extra for you would you support them

No, because I think they’re taking the piss. I knew from the moment I got the job that public holidays are just another workday.

allthepies
    Free Member

If they reduced all these peoples pay to say £100,000 that would go someway.

Would you include Bob Crow and his £133,138 annual package in that list ?

Sancho
    Free Member

The bosses arent trying to roger them ffs.
    they just want more than they are contracted for at the moment.

Those wages look like a piss take, may explain a lot about the unions stance.

alpin
    Free Member

agree with OP….

sod em. surely this kind of action accelerates the introduction of driverless trains (DLR works fine without a driver). if they weren’t such a bunch of jumped up monkeys they’d be safer – long term – in their jobs.

it breeds resentment amongst joe public and they won’t care if there is a driver earning 50k controlling their train or a computer system and a couple of bods in a ontrol room overseeing it. all they want to do is get to where they need to go reliably and on time.

and so what if you have to work boxing day. are they going to start demanding the same terms for other bank holidays?

bob crow…. hurry up and crow it… (see what i did there?)

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

What was the result last year then?

Dec 2010

scu98rkr
    Free Member

agree with OP….

sod em. surely this kind of action accelerates the introduction of driverless trains (DLR works fine without a driver). if they weren’t such a bunch of jumped up monkeys they’d be safer – long term – in their jobs.

Disagree earning £25,000 in London is pointless you just end up giving it to your landlord.

If you earn £50,000 you can try and save for a deposit and buy a house.

£50,000 is one year is worth alot more than £25,000 for two years.

They’ll be safer if they can get a mortgage going and then get another job when the the trains are automated.

If earning less is safer why dont cheif executives take pay cuts ? To make sure there business is safe ?

hora
    Free Member

What exactly does Bob Crow do for that salary?

Coyote
    Free Member

“50,000 is one year is worth alot more than £25,000 for two years

😯

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yes but presumably his union member pay that not TFL.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

“£50,000 in one year is worth alot more than £25,000 for two years

How do you disagree with that ?

1. Inflation
    2. Savings Interest
    3. Possible Mortgage deposit therefore avoiding rent.
    4. Mortgage over payments therefore avoiding interest.
    4. Other investment opportunities.

loum
    Free Member

I agree with the boxing day sofa idea.
    Shut the tubes, shut the shops as one of these much needed Austerity Measures, all stay home with your families and finish those turkeys.

abennell
    Free Member

This year i am working christmas eve, christmas day, boxing day, NYE and NYD and don’t get anthing extra, the joys of having to feed and water the masses!

alpin
    Free Member

Disagree earning £25,000 in London is pointless you just end up giving it to your landlord.

If you earn £50,000 you can try and save for a deposit and buy a house.

£50,000 is one year is worth alot more than £25,000 for two years.

They’ll be safer if they can get a mortgage going and then get another job when the the trains are automated.

that’s a pointless argument as they are already recieving 45k/yr. their pay isn’t being cut. they want (what many people believe to be) a massive increase for their days work as opposed to getting (what many people would believe to be) an already good deal. why should they hold their bosses to ransom?

Tube drivers already earn £45,545 per year but their salaries are set to soar to a £52,000 per year basic wage by 2015.

They are also being paid an extra £1,200 ‘Olympics bonus’ for working the three weeks during the games next summer.

In addition, they get 43 days of holiday a year and a 35-hour working week.

i’d work for 45k/yr inc. 43 days where i don’t have to work yet still recieve money and all that for 35hrs/week.

Mick Whelan, general secretary of the union, told the Evening Standard: ‘Obviously working Boxing Day and other bank holidays means unsocial hours for our members.

fortunately for society the majority of those in service industries see this as part of the job. as do many of those that work in retail or the self employed (i.e. me).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

£230K for Group Marketing – incredible?

binners

Rob Holden, Chief Executive, Crossrail: £857,134

Sweet Jesus!!!!! WTF does he do to warrant that? is he the man that paves the London streets with gold when Bob Diamond is a bit busy

scu98rkr
    Free Member

well seeing as inflation is just less than 5%.

45,545 * 1.05 = 47822

It should go up to £47,822 next year so £52,000 by 2015 does sound too out of place.

Its just everyone else pay is frozen so we are losing money.

why should they hold their bosses to ransom?

in a perfect world they should nt hold there bosses to ransom. But in a perfect world Rob Holden, Chief Executive, Crossrail would nt be paid £857,134.

In principle I agree it would be best if people didnt strike and there was some board that could award the correct level of pay to everyone. But this system does nt exist.

I dont understand why for so many people a tube driver earning £50,000 makes them more angry than Chief Executive earning £857,134.

If the pay at top ever became “fair” then we could start looking at whether tube drivers pay is “fair”.

brakes
    Free Member

tube travellers should go on strike on Boxing day and use the bus so that the tube company ***** get no revenue to pay for their ridiculous wage demands.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Guess what – they get time and 60% plus a day in lieu.

No they don’t at least I can guarantee you that Ambulance service staff don’t get time plus 60% and a day in lieu. We get 7.5 hours time in lieu back for working Christmas Day or Boxing Day despite working a 12 hour shift.
    This has been the same for at least the past 5 or 6 years.

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s the tube?
    And how will this affect me?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wisepranker – are you not on agenda for change rates? The day in lieu is one of your PH / Al days – the 7.5 hrs is the equivalent of the 60% but I am suprised you are taking it in time not pay. Never heard of that.

hora
    Free Member

Just don’t run the underground on Boxing day.

Then introduce driverless trains.

Sorted.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What exactly does Bob Crow do for that salary?

He’s worth every **** penny of it and funnily enough, the London Underground workers don’t seem to want to get rid of him do they? If I was a London Underground worker, I’d be delighted to have Bob Crowe fighting my ground for me because he’d be getting me a decent wage in London, where it’s bloody expensive to live, he’d be sticking it to my employers every time they tried to shaft me…again! And lastly, he pisses off people like you hora. That’s worth a few days in lieu in itself.

alpin
    Free Member

50k in london is still a decent wage. many jobs in town pay <20k/yr. now that is a crap wage.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Tube drivers – bunch of *****’ is closed to new replies.