Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tub wheels (and tyres) for cross
  • jonba
    Free Member

Thinking about some tub wheels for racing cx.

Any recommendations? Wheels need to be disc hub. I am looking at the Stradawheel.xo.uk Major Tom on Novatec wheels – With a set of tyres glued on they are just over £500.

This is quite expensive considering they will get about 15h use a year. Anything cheaper? Seen loads of cheap carbon ones on Ebay but as they will work out about the same price after tubs and glue I am not really prepared to take the risk.

GHill

Kinesis just announced some, but roughly the same price.

traildog
    Free Member

Won’t they pay for themselves in prize money?

Can you not look out for something second hand?

LS
    Free Member

If you’re on 10spd then these would be a good start Cheap Forzas and then spend money on top-notch tubs like FMB or Dugast. It’s the tubs that matter more than the wheels.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I know you’re not keen but I’d be tempted by a pair of these built on some disc hubs…

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-38mm-wheels-road-bicycles-700c-tubular.html

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve seen the kinesis ones but I’d sooner go handbuilt for the same money.

The merlin ones aren’t disc compatible.

I am looking out second hand but there is little to no market in Disc Tub wheels.

If I don’t pull my finger out and find some by the end of the season then I may go lightbicycle. Thing is if I order now then they won’t arrive in time for most of this season – especially not after I’ve faffed gluing on tubs (as I’ve not done it before).

Sadly the prize money in CX is poor. They often only give it out of the first 3 over all in the leagues I do. Even then it is only about £30 for the win and you get your entry back for third. A lot of the money goes into tape, hiring venues and timing equipment. If I was looking for an investment I’d have better prospects getting some superlight hill climb kit. Prize money is good in those, I’ve managed over £100 this season.

barrykellett
    Free Member

http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/velocity-major-tom-700c-black x 2 = £104
    Pair of Novatec disc hubs for under £90
    Sapim race spokes 52p each from sdeals = £34 for 32h wheel build
    Use the money saved to buy 2 of these magicians:
    http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/clement-crusade-pdx-33c-tubular.html – £140

Total cost = £368

LS
    Free Member

Sorry, missed the disc bit 😳 Novatecs on rims of your choice would be the way I’d go in that case.
    Unless there’s only 15 riders in your race then prizes should be going down further than 3rd place!

Garry_Lager

mrblobby – Member

I know you’re not keen but I’d be tempted by a pair of these built on some disc hubs…

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-38mm-wheels-road-bicycles-700c-tubular.html Would that rim take a road tub and cx tub, Mrblobby? Was thinking if I could get something that could do both, but I’ve never used them so don’t know if the 23mm rim could accommodate the different tyre sizes.

montecha
    Free Member

I bought a pair of the light-bicycle rims during the summer and laced them to Hope evo hubs. The 23mm is fine for road and cross, similar width to the Major Toms – also built up a pair of these with Hopes.

If you want hand builds quickly then you’ll probably have to pay a premium. That’s what happened to me last year when I switched to disc, so taught myself to build which is costing me more money.

I have some Novatech’s that I’m building into Stans Grail rims at the moment, they look to be decent quality but don’t have any experience of them yet.

I originally used strada wheels, Hope with BOR 29er, these wheels were hammered last winter and in summer cross and are as true as the day I got them out of the box.

Go for the best tubs you can afford!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Ridden the Kinesis one a fair bit and they seem pretty decent, fully compatible with XD- thru axles and warranty..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tub wheels (and tyres) for cross’ is closed to new replies.