Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • TTIP- anybody bothered?
  • kayla1
    Free Member
    scaredypants

disapproving but fatalistic, rather than bothered

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Already, thanks to the insertion of ISDS into much smaller trade treaties, big business is engaged in an orgy of litigation, whose purpose is to strike down any law that might impinge on its anticipated future profits. The tobacco firm Philip Morris is suing governments in Uruguay and Australia for trying to discourage people from smoking. The oil firm Occidental was awarded $2.3bn in compensation from Ecuador, which terminated the company’s drilling concession in the Amazon after finding that Occidental had broken Ecuadorean law. The Swedish company Vattenfall is suing the German government for shutting down nuclear power. An Australian firm is suing El Salvador’s government for $300m for refusing permission for a goldmine over concerns it would poison the drinking water.

I like Monbiot’s articles, so thanks for passing it on. The least we can do is to put this information down in front of people. As the piece says, never let it be said that people cannot engage with complex issues.

Oh yeah, you could also sign the petition (link) against the TTIP

Jamz
    Free Member

More information can be found here:

Stop TTIP

Northwind

Very disturbed by it but also not really convinced we can do much about it.

The hypocrisy of it all is stunning though. “No! We can’t let Europe influence our policies- that’s big corporations’ job!””

kayla1
    Free Member

If we all (we in the broad sense, not just STW) shout load enough the more awful bits may be changed or scrapped- you don’t have to just sit back and take it!

noltae
    Free Member

TTIP is gnarly – I’ve been banging on for years about it to anyone who’s interested – generally their not … We need awareness to reach critical mass A.S.AP. ..

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Very disturbed by it but also not really convinced we can do much about it.

Come on! Individually we can’t do a great deal, but that’s why there are petitions and organisations who bring voices together. If you can do nothing else, just add your voice to the crowd and pass around the links to petitions and articles.

EDIT. the more I think about it the more I get wound up. The building up of democratic fascism – by which I mean the collusion of State and business – has been slow and somewhat insidious over the last few decades. The TTIP seems to be the device which would push the balance of power right over, so that government, ie the People’s representatives, would become entirely subjugated to corporate agendas. This is big, big news; please help it to remain in people’s view.

thered

Yes, we all know that big business and lobbyist’s are running everything but this is a farce, it further reinforces the idea that we all exist simply for the benefit of the richest people on the planet. How can gov’ts better so stupid as to even think about allowing this to happen?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘TTIP- anybody bothered?’ is closed to new replies.