Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tsar RANT
  • iDave
    Free Member

Note to govt and media

Tsar (also spelled czar, tzar or csar) is a title used to designate certain monarchs or supreme rulers.

In Russia and Bulgaria the imperial connotations of the term were blurred with time and, by the 19th century, it had come to be viewed as an equivalent of King.

FFS Frank Field is not a phuckin tsar, he's in charge of a committee. STOP CALLING PEOPLE TSARS WHEN THEY'RE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE. There is NO 'poverty tsar' or 'respect tsar' – there isn't OK!

And stop calling the merest hint of scandal 'sometingGATE' – Watergate, fine the building was called Watergate. EverythingelseGate – NO. And I'm not even drunk.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You're right it's a big problem, they should call it 'Tsargate'

bassspine
    Free Member

it's lazy journalism, and I hate it when they obviously don't understand the actual meaning of the phrase they are stealing.

Recently seen misused far too often 'pay tribute to'

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes, isn't it awful how language just seems to mutate and evolve over time? Tch! Personally, I think we should all be talking Chaucerian English.

Call a thrustle a thrustle, that's what I say… 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it's lazy journalism

TBH, I thought the term originated from the spin doctors/politicians during the John Major's time, rather than a Fleet Street invention. Could wrong though.

The "gate" thing is definitely a journalistic invention, and it does annoy me, as it is completely pointless to use it in situations which are not even vaguely simular to Watergate.

But then there is so much about journalism which annoys me, and much of it is indeed just "laziness".

iDave
    Free Member

Woppit, in Surrye whilom dwelte a compaignye of chapmen riche, and therto sadde and trewe, innit

scaredypants

well yeah, xxxxgate is poor, since watergate was a place and not a scandal relating to water

not really any more kack than xxxxaholic though

tzars, mandarins, … govt/media well up themselves; tell us something new

it's misuse of "refute" that makes me laugh though – they're either thick, or hoping that history will suggest that charges against them were genuinely disproven rather than just denied indignantly and guiltily

Edric64
    Free Member

, mandarins,Ducks or oranges?

Northwind

ernie_lynch – Member

"TBH, I thought the term originated from the spin doctors/politicians during the John Major's time, rather than a Fleet Street invention. Could wrong though."

Woodrow Wilson administration originally.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

D'you know Northwind, after I posted I thought "it probably originated from the states" …….as most things like that tend to. But I didn't know that – cheers mate. So it's origins are political/party propaganda then – rather than journalistic.

scaredypants

So it's origins are political/party propaganda then – rather than journalistic

not sure there's a very thick line between the two, TBH 😐

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tsar RANT’ is closed to new replies.