Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Trying to replace my stolen Transition Scout!
  • chrisyork

Well the insurance money has come through for us and I’m absolutely gagging to get back out riding but need a bike first!!

Anyone been in similar situation whereby you’re trying to find a bike at the same level as the one you lost but struggling to find the right one, also my Tranny was a bit on the small side and want to spend a bit less on my next one so it puts 2018 model out of reach!

Pretty much decided on a YT Capra Al Comp but then read riders over 6′ are best off with the XL….which is sold out!!!!

Damn it…. just loved the fact the Transition was well known, burly as, a real weapon and looked the bomb…. and I just want the same again, being a bit fussy but it’s gotta be right !

Wookster

Have you tried to find a 2016-2017 scout in the sales? There’s been a few about??

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

How about a 650b Carbon Jeffsy in XL(or Large)- there’s a top of the range one available soon with a £400 discount at mo for £3400.
    The Jeffsy will be a closer feeling ride to the Scout than the Capra,and it’s sizing is more generous.
    Jeffsy 27

or a Whyte 130 something or other…..

New redesigned Capra is I’m sure getting launched soon……but won’t probably then be available till next year or maybe it will who knows :D.

joebristol

What’s the budget? Would have thought a Capra is more the equivalent of a Patrol than a Scout.

Would think Jeffsy is the bike you’d want in 27.5 to get close.

In terms of recommending what you’ve got then how about a Bird aeris?

squealer
    Free Member

Drover cycles are selling off their ex- demo carbon scout at the moment….

chrisyork

I did look at getting another Scout but I think they’re either a bit too much or a bit too large in the XL… the reach was perfect on scout but I have long legs and Felt like a towered over it on the flat trails… I’d need to ride one to know. I’m looking to go longer travel hence the Capra idea, my mate has a CF Capra but I do love the good beefy welds of an Alu! Some of the stuff I sent the Scout down it ate it up but thinking for Gnarlier stuff more bounce would help!

Budget around £2.5k absolute max as I’ve got a more expensive roadie than the one that got pinched too. I nearly got the Capra last time but rang up Wheelbase asking about the tranny, next thing I knew I’d spent £650 over my budget on the Scout when the YT would’ve been enough for me.

Have looked at the Bird, Airdrop…. i loved the 2016 commencal’s with the two tone paint but this years is just a bit plain, and no dropper I don’t think!

chrisyork

Also was very keen on seeing what Nukeproof brought out for 2018 but when I saw them at the cycle show I was not that keen on the silver/red one from a colour point of view and definitely don’t want a 29er which the other model is…..this is basically putting my thoughts on a forum post instead of keeping them in my head!!!

chrisyork

I’m at that stage where I can’t decide, been thinking of the Radon swoop now! Looked at a Propain too but the shock location ain’t good for UK filthy riding….even though apparently they’re incredible to ride!! Anyone else having these indecisive moments?

joebristol

Radon Swoop won an enduro bike test over the summer – the Capra was a bit further down – as was the Whyte G160. Think there was a trek in the top 5 and maybe a commencal?

Test ride some bikes and see what you like the best!

joebristol

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/enduro-bike-of-the-year-2017-radon-swoop-170-80-49545/

Try the link above – the Canyon Strive was also on the top 5.

AirDrop Edit mk1 was in the overall group test but didn’t do that well. I think it was the coil shock that didn’t help it’s cause – I test rode one with a coil and it didn’t pop like I like a bike to. Although it literally swallowed every thing thrown at it.

Rode the Bird Aeris 145 and just giggled all the way round Swinley Forest on it. So much fun. Been to Cwmcarn and BPW on it since May and loved it. Even though it’s way more bike than I need on local Bristol trails it’s still fun.

chrisyork

Was at a JE James demo day the other week but had virtually no bikes I wanted to buy, wish I could testride a few of these really good bikes in the right size! The Commencal colours are a bit plain and my transition just looked so damn good with contrasting red/black…. have looked at the Bird but they are a long way away from me to go demo one…

v666ern
    Free Member

Chapaking from this parish had a radon and gave it a good write up, others to add to your list

Banshee bikes
    Rose bikes
    2nd hand Cotic?

al2000

SC 5010? Intense Spider 275? Some reasonable deals on 2017 models at the moment.

joebristol

Where are you based Op?

Bird are near Swinley but they have test ride bikes at Cwmcarn and In the North East near county Dirham.

AirDrop (for the Edit) are in Sheffield, and I think whyte (for the g160 /s150) can be test ridden in various places. Surely you’re near one of those?

chrisyork

I’m in East Yorkshire matey, have seen a cheap enough Santa Cruz 5010 but I’d always be seeing Pro’s on the CF ones and knowing I couldn’t afford one. I have seen the intense spider 27.5 cheap so that’s a good option . Also the nukeproof mega pro 2017 but can’t seem to find a relatively local dealer to demo…

Do love the Radon swoop 9.0 and I suppose I bought my TR without riding that……just decided that the next time I bought i’d try one first….loved my TR but I needed the larger size really for long rides although it was epic on the downs!

chrisyork

Looked as though the Propain too which was incredible when is speed it online, but the rear shock because of its position would need regular servicing, probably more than I’d want to give it

tdog
    Free Member

Ibis mojo hd3s on clearout at the mo which come with a killer spec, I was so close so close but got a different kind of Ibis that suits my riding better.

Iirc mojo hd3 with fox 36 and their excellent 738 wheels etc all in at £3k makes them look bargaintatious

Happy trails 🙂

chrisyork

That’s a bit too much is 3k really, my limit is about 2.6 as I’ve upgrade to a better road bike too. Plus we have an Asgard shed to buy….. £600 worth!

chrisyork

I did ride a Carbon Giant with carbon wheels in my price range at the demo day and it was only when I got home that I realised it was so quick to get moving because the wheels were Carbon……. But possibly I do want something a bit rarer than a Giant. Wish YT would bring our their 2018 models!!!!

tdog
    Free Member

Oh fair enough. Wouldn’t catch me spending £600 on a shed though.

Is there any way you couldn’t save money on shed and put towards bike and then get a cheaper option of storage.
    I understand that you’ll have your priorities sorted no doubt.

Yes carbon wheels definitely pick up speed quick as more direct with rotation and bit lighter sure but finding right kinda pressure without tyre squirm means squirming I found.

How much is the Giant with carbon wheels as that sounds like a doable if you’re happy bout carbon hoops.
    Gotta admit I was on a 2nd hand set of DT ones just wouldn’t choose them again cause of tyre squirm.

chrisyork

I would love to mate but the reason for the shed is the reason for my post….£8k’s bikes stolen from our last one, no room to store the bikes in the house either…

Ideally I’d want the shed, an airsoft gun, a fake ditch behind the garden full of nettles, broken glass, Tabasco sauce, nail boards and oil but will make do with a hardcore bike storage unit

drovercycles
    Free Member

As above – thanks squealer for the mention – we are indeed selling our 2017 hire and demo fleets at the moment.

Most relevant here – although I’m not sure whether it’s right for you or not OP – is our Scout Carbon (Large). It’s about a £5k build with few to no compromises on spec and we’d be looking for about 60% of that to let it go to a new home. It’s Invisiframed so in good nick (although annoyingly does have one small chip in the paint on the front of the head tube just where there’s a gap in the frame protection!), has not been used heavily or abused, and has been well looked after.

Lots of other bikes too if anyone’s looking for a bargain, all will be listed on the site as soon as possible but meanwhile feel free to give us a shout with your requirements and we’ll come back with anything we think might suit.

chrisyork

Thanks for the HU, the carbon would be too much and I’m looking for brand new too, will keep an eye on your site though

tdog
    Free Member

Oh! Checks original thread title.
    😳

Errrrmm yrs now I see why you feel the need for a kick ass shed.

joebristol

Depending what part of East Yorkshire you might not be a million miles from sheffield?

Worth going to test an airdrop edit v2. I’d say it’s more on the DH side of enduro from my limited experience of enduro bikes, but that was with a coil shock. I think one with a poppy air shock could be brilliant.

Also a good price for a decent spec.

chrisyork

Thanks I’ll beat it in mind……..one thing that REALLY pissed me off is I had hope wheels and hubs on the TR as it was a free wheel upgrade from new, so the bike wasn’t heavy at all!

From looking at it each replacement is going to be heavier…. I absolutely despise thieves!

tdog
    Free Member

Hold up for a mo Chris, I share your sentiments on bike thieves but please remember for yourself it is day of rest.

Breathe bud and repeat after me
    Wwwoooooosssaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

joebristol

A lot of the bikes you are looking at will be heavier – you’re going up to more travel and therefore stronger components which are heavier etc

The German direct sales bikes are likely to be the best bet for lightest I’d imagine given the better quality components for the money.

For what it’s worth I’ve weighed my bike on luggage scales and it’s just over 32lbs but it still climbs better than my last bike that was between 28 and 29lbs. Think the newer geometry with steep seat tube angle and stretched out top tube put you in a more efficient climbing position and it means the front wheel stays glued to the ground on steep climbs.

chrisyork

Sounds like the Geo it’s good, for climbing to get the leg extension on my TR I had to have the seat really high which meant the frame was too small.

Just seen I can pick up the same model of my Scout for £2.2k in extra large but thinking I should change as checking the Geo for that is similar to the XL Giant Reign that I rode which was way too big!

v666ern
    Free Member

I think you are really overthinking this. Get some demos arranged or just bite the bullet on which one looks the best

chrisyork

You’re totally right, welcome to me….it took me two months to find a sofa……the only things I rush into are bars and takeaways !

chrisyork

Yeah great, went to order the swoop 8.0 and just seen that the 20” is now out of stock….absolute bollocks!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Trying to replace my stolen Transition Scout!’ is closed to new replies.