Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Trying to remove pivot bearings – ARGH!
  • alexonabike

Trying to take the old bearings out of my Hustler as they are shot.

I can get to the inner race from the back through the centre of the opposite bearing and I have tried drifting it out but all I seem to be doing is smashing the bearing up and not budging the outer from the frame.

Tips?

molgrips
    Free Member

Get a 5 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hit it harder or look for a proper bearing puller.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you need proper tools IME
    bearing puller etc

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What you need is some threaded bar, an appropriate sized socket, some big washers, some nuts that fit the threaded bar and a couple of spanners. That’ll shift anything.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Anecdotally Hustlers are particularly difficult to get the bearings out of.
    I bet kaesae has done one, email him and he might have some tips.

duntstick
    Free Member

Read this Mtbr thread for some ideas

I just got all my bearings out of my Reign using a combination of different techniques, the best of which is the quick release and sockets combo.
    Just waiting on Kaesae to send me some bearings now……..

molgrips
    Free Member

Yar. Get a socket the right size, that’s almost as good as a drift. It was the only way I could change the shock bushes on my Cake.. needed those too often for me to take it to the LBS.

alexonabike

Not sure how I can get a socket to pass through the centre of the opposite bearing. Im using an 8mm allen key as a drift as that the largest thing I can get through the bearing!

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah.. didn’t think of that.

Carefull tapping with a screwdriver. You could also apply gentle heat because alu expands more than steel, but only extremely gentle. You might get better results using ice or something cold perhaps before bashing.

alexonabike

Right.. saga continues.

After a helpful spray of shock-and-unlock and a good bash with the largest drift I could get in, the bearings have both fallen apart leaving the outer firmly fixed in the frame. FUBAR.

What next? New frame?!

lipseal
    Free Member

You will need to get a screw diver in and tap it out.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Assuming the “heat the frame and cool the bearing” Haird dryer and ice Combo won’t let you pry it out thenit’s starting to look like Dremel time. Think denistry, or better yet, brain surgery.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I took a blow torch to my Reign after the same happened to mine. Screwed the paint but that was the reason they need to come out (new paint job) so it didn’t matter.

Once heated they came out so easy it made me wonder what the hell I had been doing for the last hour or so trying to drift it out.

alexonabike

So if I go down the heat route, do I aim the heat at the frame or the bearing?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

The frame although you will heat the bearing as well. The aim is to get more heat into the frame as that will expand quicker than the steel bearing race.

Jusy heat for a while, either intensly with a low heat or lightly with a high heat and then just try knocking the race out. If it doesn’t work heat a little more and try again.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

As I previously alluded, heat the frame to expand the aluminium (the bearing will get hot as well, no avoiding that). Press something nice and cold against the bearing race to draw the heat out of the steel causing it to contract. That’s the most additional freedom you’re going to obtain without getting medieval.

Ambrose

Can you get a (very) good welder to tig a ring of weld onto the race? When it cools it will contract and ‘shrink’ the bearing. Common practise in some motor workshops for removing Golf wheelbearings I’m told.

lipseal
    Free Member

Push the boat out and buy a new frame, you know you want to 😉

kimbers
    alexonabike

Nice looking tool, but I dont think it would work with the type of problem I have!

Its at the machine shop now 🙁

bigjim

That RRp tool looks nice but is sooo expensive, must be aimed at workshops. A bit of dremel or other cheaper hobby drill action would get the outer race out.

bazzer
    Free Member

I want the RRp tool sooooooooo much now 🙂

I love tools 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

where can you get those rrp tools. anyone online stock then, can’t find one and like bazzer i want one bad

sv

^ UK bikestore IIRC, some threaded bar fir the press bit will save you buying the actual tool, then just buy the kit you need.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

threaded bar 😯

you don’t quite get it do you

it’s anodised man

bigjim

I’ve just removed my pivot bearings for a tooling cost of £1.50. big bolt and a few nuts and washers, using the old small bearings as bolt guides for pressing out the larger ones. I was sitting looking at my crank extractor which cost about £7 thinking someone is missing a trick here!

kaesae
    Free Member

I use bearing extractors and presses, however there are a lot of good techniques you can do using a vice.

Removal

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SJ3zdYZt80[/video]

Installation

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHPsh-ALqJA[/video]

Cove frames are very similar kona’s

kaesae
    Free Member

Here’s a rubbish guide for the specialized epic.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u42Ju5WNwyU[/video]

😯 🙄 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

Here’s a good way to check your bearings condition.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOiZtc4RsM8[/video]

Speaking of servicing frames I better get to work, hopefully this will be of some help!

z1ppy

bigjim – Member
    That RRp tool looks nice but is sooo expensive, must be aimed at workshops.

The tool is damned expensive in the 1st place (£49) and then you have to buy the ‘fitting’ for your each bearing sizes (16 available) individually @ £20 a piece… It does look kinda special though doesn’t it MMMMMmmmmm.

http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

if the outer race is stuck in, there is nothing holding it in (no pressure from inner race and bearing structure) and you should be able to tap that out with a screwdriver. I had a bearing collapse mid-removal from a Nomad, but the outer race tapped out with a screwdriver with no problem.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat is the key. tie a rag around it and pour hot water over it -( the frame)

bigjim

The tool is damned expensive in the 1st place (£49) and then you have to buy the ‘fitting’ for your each bearing sizes (16 available) individually @ £20 a piece… It does look kinda special though doesn’t it MMMMMmmmmm.

It does look nice, but those little handles make me think it might struggle on a really stuck in bearing.

X Tools or someone are missing a trick here, if a crank extractor can cost a few quid, a bearing extractor shouldn’t cost much more to cover the different bearing fittings. And i reckon mtb bearings now out number mountain bikers!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

You could try one of those expanding metal rawl / anchor bolts for concrete.

Thread the screw in to the expander wedge until the wedge grips the bearing outer (inner surface) and then tap out from the other side. You just need the wedge to expand enough to grip the bearing.

Might depend on what size bearing as to which size anchor bolt would work?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

just taken delivery of the RRP bearing tool

10 minutes after opening the envelope all 16 bearings on the wife’s ventana were fitted (i’d already drifted out the old ones)

very nice bit of kit.

duntstick
    Free Member

Wish I’d bought the kit. I’ve just replaced the bearings (Cheers Kaesae) on my 2007 Giant Reign, what a ball-ache, messing about with a vice, QR, threaded bar, sockets and various other bits and pieces.

Well worth doing though, turns out 6 out of 8 crunchy as hell, one completely stuck to the pivot.(2nd hand frame)

I’ve had to use the rebound on the shock to bring it all under control as the rear is much more active now. I found that the rear appeared to be packing down before.

Coupled with a firmer spring in the Lyrik and my bike feels fresh as a daisy now. Looking forward to giving it a wupping, tomorrow morning 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Trying to remove pivot bearings – ARGH!’ is closed to new replies.