Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Trying to remember the name of an old child's story….
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Daughter #1 (nearly 10) and I have been out on our bikes together a wee bit. Lots of rurality round our way.

Surprisingly, she knows an infeasible amount about horses. I don’t know how this happened.

It reminded me of a story I read years ago, as a boy- anyone have a clue about the name or author?

I seem to remember that the main character was some evil old man, who had a horse. Possibly an all-black horse. He wanted to make it more valuable, and so set about its head with a knife or hot wire, making a white star on its forehead….it may have come back as a ghost to haunt him.

Any clues?

piemonster

Not a scoobies

But if anyone can remember the late 80s kids tv show which involved a big house and an evil tree that attacked on a stormy night I’d appreciate knowing what it is. Been doing my nut in. Seemed to remember some stone statues where involved.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ooh! Could you be thinking of White Fang?

Cougar

Sounds like an evil Black Beauty.

leffeboy

which involved a big house and an evil tree that attacked on a stormy night I’d appreciate knowing what it is

There was a Mr Men story along those lines but trees always look a bit evil at night so could be a common theme

codybrennan
    Free Member

I dont think its White Fang, but thanks anyway.

Piemonster- are you thinking of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones

piemonster

No, although its heading in the right direction.

It was very much an ‘old man tree’ as the villain type of thing.

I think the show rounded off with the tree attacking the house, but the statues somehow came along and kicked some bark.

Definitely 80s, maybe early 90s vintage rather than 70s.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If anyone can remember a kids book about an ailien/robot that played saxophone out off it’s ear. That would be good – I think it was part of a series.

piemonster

I’ve always suspected that the creative elements in kids tv shows have dabbled in drugs.

When I say dabbled, I mean spent a significant portion of there lives caned out of there skulls.

mahul1999
    Free Member

Piemonster could you be thinking of this ??

children of green knowe

vid clip

you tube children of green knowe

wooobob

Piemonster – Follyfoot? Run run the lightning tree!

EDIT – maybe not. Too old.

jamj1974

It is the children of Green Knowe.

tinybits
    Free Member

White fang? Nah mate, that was a jack London book surely? All about a dog/wolf.

CountZero

While we’re on a children’s story/telly kind of thing, can anyone remember a spooky series involving possible aliens, quite likely Australian based, would have been around 1967-ish; one scene sticks in my memory, a cut to a rock shelf in a cave with a skull on it, but the skull had an elongated cranium, rather like the archetypical ‘Greys’ associated with Rosewell. It’s driven me nuts over the years, I’ve tried Google, but not really found anything that seems to match up.

ittaika
    Free Member

sorry codybrennan, no idea, but wikipedia came up with a huge list of horses in fiction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_horses

many of them seem to be black horses of some kind…

piemonster: “When I say dabbled, I mean spent a significant portion of there lives caned out of there skulls. ” 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is it children of the corn?

Cougar

If anyone can remember a kids book about an ailien/robot that played saxophone out off it’s ear.

I think it’s an utter disgrace that a children’s book contains scenes of aural sax.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

aural sax

If I thought “Horse Fang” was funny you can imagine how much I lolled.

pitduck
    Free Member

😆

DrP

But if anyone can remember the late 80s kids tv show which involved a big house and an evil tree that attacked on a stormy night I’d appreciate knowing what it is. Been doing my nut in. Seemed to remember some stone statues where involved.

Quivers in childhood flashback mode……..

DrP

bazookajoe
    Free Member

CountZero – that could be Children of the Dog Star? Edit – maybe not if 1967ish, just noticed that bit

piemonster

It is the children of Green Knowe.

Yes, after some confirmation from YouTube.

Thanks for that.

I also seem to have rediscovered ‘Centurions’ and ‘Family Ness’ (an accurate portrayal of life in Scotland, although they missed mock chops)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Trying to remember the name of an old child's story….’ is closed to new replies.