Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trying to pull together a SS MTB looking for a little help
  • Bertros
    Free Member

Can somone take a look over this and let me know what i have missed ? 🙂

Frame
    On one Scandal 29er

Build Kit..

WB Fluid 110 – Crap for a Full sussser IMHO! Should make a nice retro H.T

Spacers Rear wheel needs converters (any advise on converters?) looking at. DMR kit 16t

RaceFace Ride XC Singlespeed Chainset 32 or 34 ?? (What BB will I need?) ISIS Anyone know of a white BB???

Brakes need advice on great stopping set (cheap) I am 100 Kg so weight is not really a problem (for the bike)

FSA Headset White

Bars – White

Stem – have one lying around

Think thats it any obvious omissions / complete noob to SS so any advice is welcome

Thanks

Bert

flatfish
    Free Member

seat post
    seat post clamp
    seat
    grips
    tyres
    tubes
    pedals
    chain tugs
    chain
    top cap

dr_adams
    Free Member

i got some deore v-brakes and my SS uses slick tyres(for road) and the stopping power is amazing!

Hairychested
    Free Member

The only ISIS bottom bracket worth having is made by SKF. I buy mine at Stif.

Bertros
    Free Member

LOL.. O.K obvious gap in the details! the rest if from Stuff i have lying around, the questions are about the bit i have missing

seat post – Thomson 4x
    seat post clamp as above
    seat -ve missing WTB race
    grips – ODI
    tyres – Racing ralphs, Bonty Muds or WTB nano raptures
    tubes – Less – Stans
    pedals – Shimano spd’s, Egg beater SL

chain tugs – (No idea Thanks for bringing that one out) the Frame has horizontal drop outs will i need lugs? will this mess with the disk brakes? whats the best way to tackle this?
    chain

top cap – Niner beer top or raoring mouse cycles San Fransisco or just plain black 🙂

Cheers.. missed a few bits on the build !

flatfish
    Free Member

No probs

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

you, er, needing wheels??
    cos if so, i’ve got a lovely pair of SS specific 29er wheels, with a white industries duo freehub (i.e. 2 speed) for sale…
    ano purple surly 1×1 hubs in white halo freedomdisc wheels.

very strong…

email me tamarvin at google mail dot com if you are interested 🙂

othewise, the set up looks good.
    brakes wise i’d be looking at 180/160 rotor set up, with simano XTs. they’re pretty powerful ime. look for 2nd hand for cheapness…
    you might need chaintugs if the rear wheel is a QR. if its bolted, you prob won’t.
    generally one only needs a chaintug on the drive side. so shouldn’t affect discs.

hth

Bertros
    Free Member

Ha, yes got wheels nothing special, them wheels you have sound a bit bling, trying to do this in the cheap so going to run with the my winter wheel set DTswiss 7.1’s which i got from flee bay…

O O interest what are you looking at for them wheels ?

So for chain tension will i need to run a tensioner, i am puzzled to see how you can run disk brakes on a SS when you may need to move the position of the rear wheel….

CountZero

Once you’ve got your chain length right so the wheel is as far forward in the slot as you can go, tensioning as the chain ages only moves the wheel back a very small amount, so you won’t need to touch the disc very often, and it’s not difficult to do anyway: just slacken two bolts, slide the whole caliper back slightly, retighten bolts. You might have to do it only once. I would also have two tugs, it just makes it easier to keep the wheel square.

Bertros
    Free Member

Thanks, This all helps.. I was thinking of running it 8 speed until that advise… CountZero.. Cheers!

The last single speed i had was a raliegh burner. Them things were industrial I think I am sorted now (kit and possibly mind) will post a buiild photo in june – july when on one get, delivary of the latest frames!!!

Bertros
    Free Member

Well thanks to One ones recent express delivary, I have finished the SS Scandal 29er slot drop this weekend, just in time for a quick loop around Horsell common.. Love it.. Knacked though need a few weeks to get the legs into the SS swing !

ton

nice, wanna swap for a stiffee 69r????? 😉

Bertros
    Free Member

yer.. why not… in say… 18-24 months.. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trying to pull together a SS MTB looking for a little help’ is closed to new replies.