Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • trying to hold on to our youth?
  • iainc

The healthy living thing I embraced when my kids were born, as at 35 years old, with a liver that would have made George Best recoil in horror, I felt that I owed my offspring a father..

I do think this bit is pretty vital….. Too much vino last few weeks taking its toll 😳

kcr
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdkaRmRC2H0[/video]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

my favorite

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHdGaMxzxQ[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ve just gotta keep going at it haven’t you??? 😀
    Just do what you want and hack along testing your fitness and improve where you can, listen to what ever you like and watch whatever you like, essentially do what ever you like.

We are in a very fortunate position, we’ve got the money and time to do whatever we feel like, be it young in feel or old, relish the days you have and just enjoy it.

I seriously don’t understand the “I’m getting old” mentality, sorry. 😕

Edric64
    Free Member

I decides last month that as I approach 50 in February that I would like to lose some weight and be more competitive next season in time trials .Started on Oct 22nd at 15st 10 today I am 14st 11 so in a month my BNI is nearly down to non fat bastard level .At 6ft 4 I want huge in the first place but would like to get to 14st 2 which is a 10% drop .Maybe then the kidz wont kick my ass quite as much next year!!

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m 45, and I try to keep fit and healthy, because I like the way it feels. I’m happier in my 40s than I was in my 30s and 20s. I had to give up running because of constant injuries but took up mountain biking when I was 39. I still go to a lot of rock concerts and find that the audiences have plenty of people my age.
    No need to curl up and give up because of a few grey hairs!

mightymule
    Free Member

It is a sad but unavoidable fact that the older you get, the more uncool your taste in music becomes. Nobody knows why this happens, but it is unavoidable.

You will know when this has happened, as one of your parents will suddenly pipe up that they quite like whatever it is that you happen to be listening to 😀

NB – this happened to me recently, although I suspect that my mother is simply being perverse in liking Aerosmith and Nick Cave.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Ton – spoken like a true gumpy old tyke, don;t worry it’s part of our heritage and we should embrace becoming the awkward fecker that drove us mad when we were young. Without us their youth would just be easy and fun.

As my dad turned 90 in October, and is fitter than many 30 year olds I know, I am hoping it’s all genetic!

instanthit
    Free Member

Just turned 51 with two under 7 sevens.
    Still ride hard,road and mtb, run frequently (knees are giving up when road running).
    Just started climbing again and tried my hand at surfing this year.
    Went to a gig last week, three more lined up before christmas, music is as important as sport.
    Its all in the mind, you can give up and “be old” or carry on living and have fun.
    My hair is getting longer and I’m just off my racing weight when i was in my twenties.
    Going to cane a bottle or two with friends tonight as well……live it!
    (I am, apparently, getting grumpier though).

33tango

That Fast Show sketch was fantastic. Funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time! 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m not trying to hold into my youth I’m making sure I get the most out of my life now and in the future.

50, took up riding in my mid 40’s when my 60 year old neighbour would kick my butt on xc rides. Gutted to shave soent the last year doing very little since busting my knee skiing (co incidently had been skiing the technically best off piste I have ever done in 35 years) and itching to get back riding properly next year. The sports I do have changed a bit as I’ve got older, have enjoyed 15 years of competitive sailing a sport where older competitors can be just as successful as younger ones (depending on boats of course). I’ve never had great aerobic fitness but was fitter at 48 than 30 (but much less so than in my 20’s when I was playing quite high level sport).

I enjoy my food and wine, a few pints of bitter. I don’t smoke. I try and do something active every few days, even if that’s just 30 min brisk walk.

If I can I’d like to be working part time by 55 and spend rest of time skiing, biking and sailing. That’s not holding onto my youth but enjoying life in a a way which would not have been possible in my 20’s given other responsibilities.

scratch
    Free Member

I did a 25m TT back in Sept, I’m 33. My minute man was up the road and I slowly slowly dragged him in, I went past and made a gap and ploughed on into the headwind. Later on he caught me back and we had a bit of cat and mouse till I eventually went past and left him.

I finished, got off my bike and was nearly sick while haunched over the bars, he came in not to far behind and thanked me for getting him a PB, he never drafted but I think the impetus of the chase made a difference, he thanked me again as it was his birthday and he’d got the only present he wanted, I congratulated him on going under the hour and said happy birthday ‘how old are you today by the way?’ ’70!’

One of the nicest fellers I’d ever met on a course…..

BigJohn

There’s only one way to stop getting old.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’m 34 and pretty much always get asked for ID at supermarkets etc. I could easily pass for early20’s so must be doing something right 😉

sargey

53 on monday,fatter but fitter than i ever have been,around 25 miles tomorrow,20 thursday night and looking for a 40 mile route for sunday.
    Hip replacement is working fine,26r working fine,wish i had started this sport years ago.

42yr old, with the knees of a 60yr old, face of a 50yr old, body of a 30yr old and mind of a 20yr old 😉

CountZero

It is a sad but unavoidable fact that the older you get, the more uncool your taste in music becomes. Nobody knows why this happens, but it is unavoidable.

Bollocks! Define ‘uncool’.

epicyclo

mightymule – Member
    It is a sad but unavoidable fact that the older you get, the more uncool your taste in music becomes. Nobody knows why this happens, but it is unavoidable…

I’m lucky enough to have a daughter who points this out to stop me embarrassing myself by listening to music I like.

There’s no point in worrying about age. You’re going to be a day older and closer to death tomorrow. Enjoy today.

fasthaggis

There’s no point in worrying about age. You’re going to be a day older and closer to death tomorrow. Enjoy today.

Here here 🙂

It’s not about holding on,it’s about having fun as it slips away.

Happy Birthday Druidh 😉

yunki
    Free Member

bollocks, define uncool

err, well Aerosmith and Nick Cave have always been the epitome of uncool along with internet forums, office jobs, ponytails on men, sports cars and role playing games..

I think that just about covers it.. HTH

binners

43, overweight, drink too much, smoke, eat like a horse! One that lives off pasties.

I’m also a realist. The idea that anyone my age is going to end up having a nice, comfortable retirement, like the ones our parents are presently enjoying – weekends away, nice car, regular foreign holidays, jaunts out for lunch, rounds of golf – is frankly ludicrous! One or two might, I suppose. The rest of us are going to be working til we drop, or living a subsistence level existence of borderline poverty.

So why the hell anyone would sacrifice enjoying themselves now, for spinning it out for more years of misery the other end is beyond me!

saxabar
    Free Member

why do we do it?
    dont drink too much, don’t eat a unhealthy diet, get plenty of exercise, don’t smoke, get plenty of rest, get botox, use moisturiser, wear trendy clobber, follow the fashions, fb, twitter, whatever………..what a complete pain in the bum.

As opposed to hangovers, hacking up green, feeling bloated, knackered, missing out on amusing/interesting stuff and looking sartorially good (admittedly not the same as following fashion)? I do it because it makes me feel good!

Coyote
    Free Member

We have the potential to be a long time old. I’d rather leave it till as late as possible before I start.

olddog

I’ve been pretty much in a constant midlife crisis from the age of 40 (seven years then) but it’s inspired me to carry on doing all the stuff that I could have chucked (mainly sports wise) and new stuff to challenge myself (doing a MA for example – full time as well).

btw American Beauty was one of my favourite films when I was trapped in a job that was grinding me down – best mid life movie ever?

oh – I was waaay fitter in my early twenties than I am now – and I could do everything on the back of inhuman quantities of beer, fags, pies and chips. Nowadays I have to wind it in loads to maintain anything like a sensible level of fitness.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘trying to hold on to our youth?’ is closed to new replies.