Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Trying to find a needle in a hay stack (29er forks)
  • bigblackshed

I’m trying to find some 29er forks with a 1 1/8″ straight steerer. 120mm travel, bolt through axle. Everything seems to be tapered steerer. There must be something out there Shirley.

Help!

poah
    Free Member

by bolt through I take you mean 15mm?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-fusion-trace-rl2-forks-15mm-2013/rp-prod130009

pretty sure the x fusion range can be internally adjusted and the manitou 140’s can go down to 120mm too.

Moses

Same here, but 100mm , 9mm axle, straight steerer.
    Nowhere I could find….

julzm
    Free Member

Check the Germans. They have plenty!

Or the French
    http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/forks/forks/#!id_category=131&limit=40&brand=&order_by=alphabetique&view_mode=&page=1&ProductAttributeIds=68|14|167|10|15|16|59|9|134|165|178|80|&ProductGroupFilterIdsType=1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|3|&ProductAttributeValues=69448|||46670||||45910|||||&inStock=true&keyword=

bigblackshed

Hadn’t thought of X-Fusion.

Like a lot of the Rockshox range the Manitou only come in 100mm on a straight steerer, 120mm on a tapered. Plus they look like they are on back to front. 😉

Thanks.

oldnpastit

poah
    Free Member

manitou are excelent forks, well damped both compression and rebound. people always dismiss them. I never had an issue with my old 120mm minutes (straight steerer 9mm)

pretty sure CRC have 9mm, straight steerer 29er forks in 100mm travel

vondally
    Free Member

I haveto agree about the manitous, excellent forks personally at 98 kgs I tend to run a little more air than recommended but they are a great fork, my others are 120 talas fox terralogic kashima finish and the only downside to the manitous are qr rather than 15 mm thru bolt

kimbers

integrated headset?

my 1/18th kona unit was able to take tapered with a 1.5 external lower cup, so i stuck some manitou towers on and they have been ace!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

My X-Fusion Slides are just that. I run them on my winter Inbred and they’re great, if flexy. But on a hardtail, I think the flex is a positive thing. Their stanchion height is 140mm though, so they will throw the head angle back a bit.

bigblackshed

Old school straight head tube. Flex is not good, I’m a fat biffer.

120mm is max. That will make the HA slack enough.

tomcrow99

I just took a set meeting that exact description off my Voodoo Bizango. Suntour Raidon. A bit heavy but seemed plenty stiff enough, only 6 months old. Currently just sat in the garage. £50 if your interested??

ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Moses-try Merlin cycles. That’s where I got my forks from 9mm straight steerer & a good price.

tomcrow99-YGM

vondally
    Free Member

I am a reasonably solid 98kgs and that is why the manitous are being sold simply due to qr rather than 15mm,

jeremyd42
    Free Member

Check the new DT Swiss OPM:
    http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/forks/forks/dt-swiss-2015-fork-opm-ol-29-axle-15mm-black-131-215376.html
    Seems to be a good model but can’t find any review 🙁

bigblackshed

Thanks for the input. I’ve tried the Germans, or at least the ones I know of, nowt.

There are lots of tapered steerer 120mm forks, and a few straight steerer ones, but the straights seem to be 100mm travel only.

I’ve only ever had Rockshox or Fox. The Rockshox have been brilliant. How are the DT Swiss or Manitous in real life?

julzm
    Free Member

@bigblackshed click the link I put up above from all tricks, then use the “pivot” drop down to show 1 1/8″ there are loads. Also check eBay. I just got a set of SID XX tried everywhere to find 15mm and tapered steerer, there were loads of straight steelers.

bigblackshed

Julzm.

Thanks, but none fit the bill. 120mm, straight steerer, 15 or 20mm axle.

Rare as baby unicorn tears.

vondally
    Free Member
    mick_r

Do those X fusion traces not meet all requirements? I’m quite tempted by them. Any particular reason you wouldn’t use them?

My other option is cut off the head tube and fit a 44mm…. (I made the frame in 2012 when Rebas etc were plentiful in 1 1/8″ so went for a regular HT – doh)

Edit – thanks Vondally – think it is time I stockpiled some forks…..

So next question – which is best – 2012 Fox 32mm or 2013 X-Fusion 34mm?

vondally
    Free Member

I cannot comment on those fox forks at all, they are not the same as mine

other option is a lefty with straight steerer

nickdavies

Frankenfork? Buy 2 and build what you need might be your only option these days for new.

What you want often appears on eBay – just look for a pre 2013 model reba (or Rev I think) with dual air.

bigblackshed

Thanks Vondally. Those fit the bill. Time to crack out the credit card.

dantsw13

I bought my Manitou Tower Pros (29er, 120mm Tapered) when CRC were banging them out for peanuts a few years ago & love them! They have a dual spring – small coil for small bump compliance, and an air spring for when you hit the big stuff. It works a treat.

eshershore
    Free Member

Manitou are excellent in recent years.

Great damper, great build quality; a little heavier than some of the competition but don’t dismiss that as it means a heavier duty structure for responsive steering and not developing annoying creaks after 12 months

More oil in the fork = real world durability and smooth ride quality when paired with their dampers!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Trying to find a needle in a hay stack (29er forks)’ is closed to new replies.