Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Trying to decide about what light to buy now the night has drawn in!
  • adamhood
    Free Member

I try to get out about 3/4 times a week, ride mostly singletrack and through the woods, so I need some good front lights,
    I have been using some cheap lights imported from china that do the job but are mainly spots,
    Link Cheap lights
    I’m after something that would give me more of a wide spread of light, been looking on CRC website but decent lights cost about £150+ and I can’t warrant spending that sort of cash on 1 light as my rides last 2/3 hours average and would probably need spare batteries or spare light,
    So I’ve seen this on eBay and has anyone got one similar? Are they any good?
    New light??
    And For that price I can afford 3 for the price of 1 off CRC!
    Any opinions?

Rich
    Free Member

I have that exact light and it is brilliant.

Nice spread of light and even came with a UK charger (not an adaptor).

Took 2 weeks to arrive.

Obviously it is nothing like 5000 lumens, but we all know that already! 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Wide != XML. IME.

So £150 is out of range: what is your budget?

Are your current lights ok otherwise?

Are you ok buying off a non-mainstream seller: but someone with an ok reputation? Do you want a UK seller?

adamhood
    Free Member

Yeah I’m not sure why they think it has 5000? Does the battery last for about the 2 and a half hours on full beam?
    Did you get yours off eBay then?

Rich
    Free Member

I haven’t used it for that long yet so can’t comment on the battery life.

I got it from that exact seller, I’d estimate it is around 1500/1600 lumens, and a better spread of light than my Joystick.

adamhood
    Free Member

Wide != XML. IME.

So £150 is out of range: what is your budget?

Are your current lights ok otherwise?

Are you ok buying off a non-mainstream seller: but someone with an ok reputation? Do you want a UK seller?
    Was thinking of spending about the £100 max but will need a second battery for backup day after day riding,
    My current lights work well but give too much of a beam, ok for seeing directly in front but no real spread of light for the terrain, I use one on the bike and one mounted to my helmet, did me well last year, but we to out last night for a quick blast down the cannel, went dark and I just couldn’t get on with them, couldn’t see enough,

maurizio
    Free Member

Give ‘CandBseen’ a look, decent lights, cheap price (in comparison) and uk backup! 🙂

adamhood
    Free Member

Yeah they have a good reputation, also I’ve ordered stuff from china before so I don’t mind the wait, suppose a uk seller would be better so the waiting time would be a lot shorter!

covbuggy
    Free Member

I have just bought them solarstorm x2, they are excellent value and took about a week to arrive. They are no way near the 2000 or 5000lm cliamed, but are that good I can ride most single track in the wood when pitch black with just the low setting which give 3-4hr run time. Well worth the £25

adamhood
    Free Member

covbuggy – Member
    I have just bought them solarstorm x2, they are excellent value and took about a week to arrive. They are no way near the 2000 or 5000lm cliamed, but are that good I can ride most single track in the wood when pitch black with just the low setting which give 3-4hr run time. Well worth the £25

Good to know, I go riding with about 4 other guys so have asked for multiple buy discount, then we can all get 1 or 2

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Then google Torchy battery boy.

Car main beam vs bike (£100 ish).

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/fluxient-3x-u2.html

I dont own one btw- I’ve got a last years mj872 but if I needed a light this year then I’d give this guy (uk) a twirl – he’s got as top notch reputation.

adamhood
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what back lights do you use? I did have the 1/2 watt kidney shaped, then a cateye disk, now I’m using a Lezyne femto. Small but neat,

headpotdog
    Free Member

+1 for CandBseen.

I got 2 x 1200 lumen lights last Christmas & they’ve been superb. Recommend the diffuser lens for the bar mounted light though as it takes away the spot effect nicely for better peripheral lighting on the trails.

avdave2

3/4 times a week – have you considered a dynamo option? I commute off road and it’s great not having to charge lights and have something always ready to go.

Rockape
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/ they do good light for under £100.00. from what I’ve heard are very good at dealing with any issues. Me and four mates have bought from them and have had very good service from them. Our lights have done two winters already and no problems. 🙂

muddyfool

Give ‘CandBseen’ a look, decent lights, cheap price (in comparison) and uk backup!

They also sell a lens replacement for the cheap Cree light linked in the OP to make the beam wider. Very easy to fit and well worth a fiver.

I looked at the candbseen lights too but i thought they probably come from the same factory as the cheapo ones tbh – all the other bits in the box look identical in the pics, anyway.

tmb467
    Free Member

Ill be going for a Lumenator later this year

Decent price and decent quality I’ve heard

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Look at the C&B Seen stuff on Amazon, a lot cheaper than even the cheap stuff like the Luminator, and there was a thread on here recently (a resurrected one I think) about how good there were and the quality is good as well.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Gloworm X2

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Trying to decide about what light to buy now the night has drawn in!’ is closed to new replies.