Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Trying something different
  • swanky
    Free Member

Weds night is our usual MTB club ride.
    Last night we decided on Swinley so I thought I’d take along a Cyclocross bike to try out.

They are great craic! I can see why people like them so much.

It was a fantastic ride. We started out on the Blue and carried onto the Red. The speed slowly stepped up as I got more used to the bike, and blimey, it’s certainly a fully committed style of riding that’s needed.

Too much scrubbing off speed and the skinny rear tyres lock up, roots become even more Jekyll and Hyde, and the rocks, lumps and bumps…well let’s just say that you feel them all!

As I said, fantastic fun though! 2 hours was about as much as my joints and my perineum could withstand! Body and saddle made frequent contact over the lumpier stuff – maybe I should drop it a bit next time:)

The one thing that did become very apparent during the ride is how bar mounted lights effectively “strobe” when your riding over even slightly rough terrain. The bike had carbon forks, but I wouldn’t say they had much vibration absorption in them:) Has anyone else found this? Any solutions other than using a helmet mounted light?

I’m looking forward to having another go and seeing whether something a little more challenging at Peaslake or Holmbury can be accomplished without something on me or the bike breaking:)

Has anyone else been tempted to give Cyclocross a go? And if so, what’s the most extreme riding you’ve done on the least suitable bike?

P.S. I’m not for one moment suggesting that riding a Cyclocross in Swinley was by any means extreme.

Northwind

I had a great time rattling my voodoo round glentress red- hardly extreme but pretty hard to keep the speed up. Mostly I just loved people’s reactions 😆

benji
    Free Member

Race cross, and enjoy taking it round the red route at sherwood pines just for training, 3 laps back to back is a nice amount. Todmordon area is nice as well, lots of rocky bits to play on, if you fancy that kind of thing the clif cross in the spring is worth a look.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, I quite often turn up on out local group / shop rides on my CX bike. When the trails are dry there’s nothing that accelerates like one & they certainly liven things up a fair bit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Trying something different’ is closed to new replies.