Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trying road clipless pedals – owt I should know?
  • geoffj

I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a pair of these:

I’ve been happily using MTB SPDs for a few years without too many knee / trail interfaces. Is there anything I need to know about using road clipless pedals. Oh and yes, I have bought a pair of disco slippers to go with them.

ta

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Make sure you shave your legs.

geoffj

Make sure you shave your legs.

😆

This is the look I’m aiming for

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simondbarnes

What he said.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Don’t think so. Bit of copper slip on the pedal threads and take a bit of time to set up your cleats correctly but I’m assuming you already know all that from your MTB pedals.

oldgit
    Free Member

Well when I bought mine they were new out. I fitted them Saturday night and set off early Sunday for a reliability trial. Anyway I arrived at the start and totally forgot about the new fangled clipless pedals and tried to release by pulling backwards. result was me on the floor in front of most of West Londons road riders.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

don’t sell your spuds quite yet…

scaredypants

remember that you can’t walk, at all, in most types of road shoes/cleats without breaking yer ankles

pdw
    Free Member

I made the switch quite recently.

Don’t put your weight onto a pedal until you’re sure it’s clipped in. The wrong side of the pedal against the cleat is really slippery.

simondbarnes

Change your cleats before they get this worn out…

A warning! by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Failure to do so might lead to a painful crash. Ahem.

LardLover
    Free Member

Get used to clipping in as they’re single sided (obviously 😳 ). It took me a while to get used to single sided pedals when I went all road. I nearly dithced my Look’s and bought a pair of Speedplays.

Vortexracing

After 5 years of using MTB’s I bllody hate the road ones I have, I never seem to be bale to clip in as easy as the MTB ones.

Once in they are great, just not to clever when buggering around in traffic ie clipping in and out.

wors

Hmm road ones don’t bother me at all. I didn’t like the mtb ones at all though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Carbon Soled road shoes are most totally slippy as frikkin ice when you try and clip in and the pedal is upside down!

Walking takes a few hours to master.

You’ll be buying overshoes to keep your new disco slippers clean.

Other than that, they’re awesome for out of the saddle efforts and long long days in the saddle, no hot-spots on mine even after 8 or so hours

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trying road clipless pedals – owt I should know?’ is closed to new replies.