Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trying flat pedals (sort of)
  • andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve entered my first ever DH race, if you don’t count the DH bit of the Classic Weekender or the prolouge of the Transvesubienne, and I don’t think either of them do count really. I’m doing the Mega in July.
    Looking at the videos from the Mega it would appear that my usual XTR SPDs and carbon race shoes might not ideal. I have therefore bought some new shoes, Shimano something or others, big ones which work fine on flats but also have space for a recessed cleat. Now I need to choose some pedals.
    I don’t want actual flat pedals, I really don’t feel safe on them after 15yrs of SPDs. What I would really like is something like the XTR Trail pedal, an SPD centre (both sides) with a cage around, so I don’t have to clip in on the bits I don’t want to. However, £100+ does seem a lot to spend on some pedals I might only use once and the pickings are a bit slim on fleabay and in the classifieds on here. There are a few XT ones on fleabay a bit cheaper, they look tempting.
    What others would people recommend that I look at? It must be SPD, rather than any other system, and the clip must be on both sides, (I’ve seen a few with clips on one side and proper flat on the other) Do the XT/XTR ones offer enough ‘flat bit’ to be able to ride not clipped in?
    Cheers,
    Andy

spicer
    Free Member

My mates who race dh mostly use these combined with the 5.10 spd shoes:
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.-code-PD-M545.-type-.pd_mountain.html

I’m looking at getting some for the alps this summer…

maxtorque

You want the XT ones anyway, as the XTR ones snap off (or they used too, probably fixed now however)

darrenspink
    Free Member

Shimano DX M647

If you checkout any enduro world series video they all use these.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

and they get a new set every day as the resin surround is bollocks

Simon

Serious question – what bits don’t you want to clip in for?
    Your spd shoes aren’t going to grip any of the spd pedals with cages not when you’re not clipped in.
    Surely after after 15 years of SPDs you can un-clip without thinking when thing start to go wrong?

Superficial
    Free Member

Your spd shoes aren’t going to grip any of the spd pedals with cages not when you’re not clipped in.

This.

Either use SPDs, or use flats. There is no in between, and even if there was I don’t want to know how terrible it would be.

b45her
    Free Member

dont confuse the cheaper M545’s for M647 DX’s the later are bombproof the former not so much.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Fancy trying to clip in when the cleats are stuffed with snow up the top?

Superficial
    Free Member

Fancy trying to clip in when the cleats are stuffed with snow up the top?

Don’t ever unclip and it’s a non-issue 😉

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Either use SPDs, or use flats. There is no in between

+1 Don’t imagine that trying to ride in flat SPD shoes, unclipped on a platform SPD pedal is, in anyway similar to riding on flats. It’s not something you’d do by choice. The platforms do provide a bit more support if you miss the clip in but you’ll still want to get back in ASAP.

gogg
    Free Member

Do or do not. There is no try. – Yoda

mactheknife

Andrewh, i get your problem completely. The Shimano PD-M454’s are a pretty bombproof pedal and cage combo and you won’t go wrong with them TBH.

As with everything its getting a set up that you feel comfortable with, i have always used SPD’s until recently. I have started playing about on flats and it has made me very aware of my pedalling technique and where i am relying on the clipped in feeling to get me through techy climbs. But i still switch back to SPD’s for long xc and mountain days along with the Enduro races ill be doing. I think its way more efficient when racing to be clipped in BUT that’s my opinion only 🙂

Good luck with the Mega, looks awesome 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Cheers guys, just bought some 545s off fleabay as per Spicer’s recomendation.
    I would like to do the whole race clipped in obviously but looking at the race I don’t think this is likely and am just trying to build in some margin for error with getting in/out and being able to ride not clipped in with one or both feet if required. Like Mac says clipped would be best for racing, but I don’t know if will be possible, especially at the start.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trying flat pedals (sort of)’ is closed to new replies.