• This topic has 108 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • trying a 7 month old on a bike
  • crankboy
    Free Member

It really is not about the child’s abilities it is about the physical structure of the brain and It’s development. The neck strength is also an issue . Every one gets the reason why you don’t shake a baby don’t they ?

Obviously the 12 month guideline is arbitrary but there is good reason behind it and 7 to 9 months is way too early to be exposing the child to the risk of sustained jolts.

Now off out to test my child’s car seat by strapping him in and crashing the car.

Pook

Do you all think I’m going to be rattling him about down the reds and blacks? Not a chance. Chances are I wouldn’t even get him out of the car park. The point of my post was that I wanted to try him in a crossbar seat, much as I’ve tried him in a high chair, various slings, bouncers and car seats.

Only on stw could a perfectly reasonable question have someone branded irresponsible, crazy, mad and that I’m putting their child at risk.

Do you have a big pencil sharpener for your pitch forks?

For those who’ve given reasoned advice, thanks – it’s much appreciated.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Luckily most parents are good at assessing their own childrens abilities and take the appropriate precautions to keep them safe.

nope, nope, not by a long shot, a lot of parents are **** idiots

even “responsible” members of society do stupid things

ahem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Madeleine_McCann

Pook

Haha!

Now I’m being compared to the McCanns?!

STW swivel eyed lunacy at its best

passtherizla
    Free Member

Accidentally posted.

anorak

FYI – google translate is a bit clunky but you get the gist!

“Safe transport of small children (0 to 4 years)
    March 2006

The following recommendations were developed in consultation with the Consumer Safety Institute

Bicycle Seats, general
    When to use:

if the child can sit (after 6 to 12 months) unaided.
    Purchase and installation advice:

install the seat according to the instructions.
    Do:

put the child always stuck with the seat belts;
    optionally use a bicycle helmet to prevent severe head injury
    Do not:

make in the beginning no long trips. Ie no longer than the time the child can sit up unaided on the ground;
    put the bike down with the child in the seat.

——————————————————————————–

Bicycle seat front
    When to use:

for children up to 15 pounds (about 3 years).

make sure the brake and gear cables from being pinched;
    use a windshield.

Bicycle seat back
    When to use:

for children from 15 t / m 25 kilo

provide good-spoke protection;
    footrests must have spoke-shield (foot well);
    mount saddle spring protectors (so there can be no children’s fingers between the seat springs inserted);
    make sure that the child can not close the ring lock;
    ensure a high back (for support and protection).

Baby on the bike
    General advice:

from the moment a child can sit (approx. 6-9 months) independent bicycle transportation is a bicycle seat possible. Until then, can a baby be transported. In a reclining position This are several systems on the market, such as a baby car seat on a special frame on the rack, or a baby car seat or baby-shell in a trailer or cargo bike.
    Practical tips:

get a good conformation;
    use a harness or a belt to fasten the baby;
    provide good support for head and back;
    Use a firm and stable bike;
    bike quiet and keep in touch. “

(Dutch for bikeseat is ‘fietsstoeltje’)

Whatever you do have a good time!

Cz

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s odd how some folk can’t wait to get out with their kids. For me there was never a moment I wanted to share my rides with my kids. And that never stopped them going on to be keen cyclists.

SBrock
    Free Member

What is the obsession with people on her to get ‘babies’ on bikes FFS

They should be doing baby things like crawling/walking/climbing/exploring – don’t forget the dangers.

Absolutely ridiculous!

SBrock
    Free Member

I think its madness to put a child in a seat at that age.

EXACTLY

Pook

Roflmaololololololdailymailincredulousnesscopter

SBrock
    Free Member

bet ya missus not keen either!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Soem of my happiest times with my kids has been with them in child seats on my bike. I commute with my 2 year old to nursery every day and its probably my favourite part of the day. So i can understand people’s eagerness.

I think the youngest either of them have been is around 18 months – mainly because of the helmet fitting issue.

SBrock
    Free Member

yeah but 7 months FFS

And for the record my daughter who is 2 1/2 comes everywhere with me on my bike! (I mean the local park)

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Maybe there is a difference between people who go on rides primarily to trail centres and actual cyclist who use their bikes as transport.

I am definitely in the later category and even though I can drive and ride a motorbike I much prefer to do as many journeys on my bike. So of course there was an urgency to get my babies on my bike.

I wouldn’t take a baby on an off road ride if it were really bumpy, that would be stupid. And i think i did ok as none of my four have any problems or signs of shaken baby syndrome.

Funny how I havent got shot down in flames for saying I went over the handlebars when I was 8 months pregnant!

Pook

Sbrock – wrong. She suggested it.

natrix
    Free Member

Going back to the original post, I’ve got a weeride that you could try, but I’m down south and suspect that you are north of the border………….

Pook

Natrix – Sheffield

Junkyard
    Free Member

What is the obsession with people on her to get ‘babies’ on bikes FFS

Strokes chin. Dons Holmes deer stalker but still cannot make the connection between web based forum dedicated to all things cycling and the question posed.
    Feels confused

Maybe there is a difference between people who go on rides primarily to trail centres and actual cyclist who use their bikes as transport.

THIS
    I use a bike I dont put it in my car drive somewhere ride off road then go home.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mrs cloudnine also suggested bar / stem mounted seat for our nearly 7 month old. Mainly for gentle cycle path pootles and the odd dirt jump session. She’ll have 150mm of dual air front travel but not sure on wheel size, tyres or pedals yet.

boxfish
    Free Member

My daughter went in a safe-t-seat (mounted on the steerer) from 10 months old. She was absolutely fine on the 3 mile commute to my work/her nursery. Only the OP knows if the child is ready. The near hysterical reaction of some posters is laughable.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yeah, go for it Pook. It will be good preparation for taking the child rock-climbing as soon as he/she can walk.

crankboy
    Free Member

“Maybe there is a difference between people who go on rides primarily to trail centres and actual cyclist who use their bikes as transport”

This the original question was about driving to a trail center and riding a green forest road with a child precluded by reason of being too young from using the equipment provided at the center.

It is certainly wrong to suggest pook is a bad parent. There can be nothing better than getting your kids in to the outdoors. It is however certainly appropriate to suggest the risks of ridding a trail center green with a 7 month old outweigh the benefits.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Forget a bike, get him straight on a motor bike 🙂

Look be careful, start them that young he will be leaving you behind by the time he is 5.

Kryton57

We just put our 11 month old in a BoBike – just for cycling around the local park pathways. However (we used a jnr 2yo helmet)!finding her a helmet is impossible and I’ve seen advice that says helmets should not be used for <1yo. Anyone know why – is it a neck muscle issue?

aracer
    Free Member

Chances are I wouldn’t even get him out of the car park. The point of my post was that I wanted to try him in a crossbar seat, much as I’ve tried him in a high chair, various slings, bouncers and car seats.

So you weren’t planning on actually riding a green somewhere as suggested in your OP? Maybe you should make your intentions clearer if you want to avoid the flaming.

user-removed
    Free Member

I have a nine month old, and have started looking at trailers, balance bikes, various seats etc.

I think it is hard as unlike every other thing related to babies, there is very little readily available info related to babies on bikes. Had it been up to me, I’d have had the wee man in a trailer by now, but (possibly fortunately) Mrs Removed tends to err on the side of caution, so we’re waiting another two months until he goes to nursery.

I carry him in slings, wraps and a LittleLife backpack thing. I’m constantly aware of how much his head bobbles about, and for this reason, there’s no way I’d use any of these things on a regular bike, quite aside from the falling off danger. I’d happily secure him in a trailer or cargo bike box, sitting upright.

Pook

Maybe you should make your intentions clearer if you want to avoid the flaming.

Maybe those flaming me should have just answered the question rather than getting all daily mail and incredulous and questioning my parenting skills. We’d have all got along just fine

Sandwich

Mrs Pook is playing a blinder. If it all goes well and baby Pook is fine and enjoys the trip it’s her idea. If it goes a bit pear-shaped it will be “ALL YOUR FAULT” and you will enter a world of hurt. 🙂

This from the bloke who had his youngest climbing outside from an early age.

hora
    Free Member

TBH I wouldn’t. Stop being impatient. You’ve got 18yrs to get him onto bikes/riding them. At 7months his skull has no-way knitted together. Even in a helmet any fall/trauma will have life-long effects.

Funnily and slightly OT- Non-cyclists that I’ve talked to are gobsmacked that cyclists tow their small toddlers etc in those trailer/bike things.

I must admit I bloody wouldn’t on a road.

joemarshall
    Free Member

and actual cyclist who use their bikes as transport.

I am definitely in the latter category and even though I can drive and ride a motorbike I much prefer to do as many journeys on my bike. So of course there was an urgency to get my babies on my bike.

This is part of it. I had Rose in the trailer from 6 months. I did buy a trailer which had a baby sling bit (croozer with added baby sling). It worked great. I have never relied on a car to get her around locally, which is nice. She loves it, and loves coming out on the bike for adventures. It’s also fun for me, I got out for a lovely 2 hour road ride on Saturday (albeit only 22 miles), and not only did I have a nice ride, I also got to spend some fun time with Rose chitter chattering away as we went, then she got to ride round the big park on her bike and have a picnic. It’s great to combine your riding with time with your kid, rather than just keeping riding as a dad thing that you head off and do. Really I find it hard to understand why if you love riding bikes, you wouldn’t want to share that with your kids, it isn’t like riding bikes with your kids takes away from other riding time, it takes away from jigsaw puzzle and painting and reading ballerina books time, and much as I love Angelina, I’d much rather be outside.

As a bonus, she’s always been really excited about getting out on her own bike for her own adventures and is excited about bikes in general, and sees them as a mode of transport, she’s 3 and a bit now, and she just rode up to the childminders on her new pedal bike, about which she is super excited, and we did 4 miles on the Monsal Trail last week. Her getting into pedal bike riding is good for my running too, and much as I love running, I don’t really have the time to fit in dedicated runs, but I have tons of time looking after Rose.

Oh, and yes, she’s been on forest roads from an early age (6 or 7 months), and the trailer has been on some quite bumpy stuff in Shining Cliff Woods, and full speed down the wide but quite steep and a bit bumpy incline on the High Peak Trail at 9 months or so, all fine.

Also, if you look at the various seats and trailers and things, they recommend different ages in different countries, I guess depending on legal and cultural stuff, but the Croozer baby sling is rated for use from 12 weeks up to about 10 months (was just over 12 months for our small baby), so is obviously okay for 6 months. If you search for German or Dutch sites selling bike seats, you can see their age recommendations. If Dutch people aren’t happy with recommending a particular seat, I wouldn’t do it.

It will be good preparation for taking the child rock-climbing as soon as he/she can walk.

Toddlers love a good scramble actually. Not to mention a nice swim in a lake (you can’t do that for long until about 2, unless you have a really warm lake though).

joemarshall
    Free Member

Funnily and slightly OT- Non-cyclists that I’ve talked to are gobsmacked that cyclists tow their small toddlers etc in those trailer/bike things.

I must admit I bloody wouldn’t on a road.

If you’ve ever been out with a trailer, you’d be amazed at how careful drivers are around you, and how much room they give you. Got to be way safer than a seat around traffic.

It gives the lie to the idea that when you’re normally on the bike people mean to drive safely around you, but just fail to pay attention. In general people just don’t in practice consider the safety of cyclists to be as high a priority as their ability to squeeze through a super narrow gap and save a couple of seconds, whereas when there is an obvious kid in the equation, they’re suddenly right over the centre line to the other side of the road to overtake.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Any topic concerning the safety of children inevitably causes strong opinions and you’ve been on here long enough to know that Pook 🙂

Your OP had key words such as “7 months”, “Dalbeattie”, “7Stanes” so it does read like you want to take a 7 month old off-road on your bike, so I can completely understand the discouraging responses. Perhaps if you’d mentioned Dutch canal towpaths instead, you would have got a more enthusiastic response 😉

aracer
    Free Member

As mentioned above, I use a bike for transport quite a bit – hence I’m happy using the trailer on the road (we’ve now mostly graduated to using the tandem for transport – really need a triplet though). I’m one of those who reckons 7 months is a bit young for a seat. I’m also not convinced about the OP’s protestations of innocence concerning intentions of taking baby on off-road trails using that. Trailer and car seat (or sling) all the way at that age.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@aracer, are the trailers adapted to take a car seat or do you have to do it ghetto style?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I did a ghetto think involving ropes from the frame and then some bungee cords for a bit of “suspension”
    Essentially an improvised seat belt to the frame

Pook

I’m also not convinced about the OP’s protestations of innocence concerning intentions of taking baby on off-road trails using that. Trailer and car seat (or sling) all the way at that age.

So you’re now suggesting in lying about the welfare of my own child? A child you don’t even know? Of at any point I felt he was at risk, in danger or that it wasn’t suitable for him I’d stop. How cani possibly decide that without first trying him in a seat or trailer?

You seem to be suggesting that I’m putting my own biking before his health and well being, which others on here would tell you is about as far from the truth as you can possibly get in my parenting.

aracer
    Free Member

How cani possibly decide that without first trying him in a seat or trailer?

Well you could check out the professional advice about shaking small babies around. As a responsible parent who puts your children first you have done that haven’t you? I’m not quite sure what you expect to learn by putting your baby in a seat or a trailer.

We come back to your OP

were hoping to hire a buggy so we could get out on a green somewhere

MtbRoutes

iBert / Safe-t-seat here from about 10-11 months. Absolutely loved it and still does now at 21 months.
    Helmet is a Giro Me2.

hora
    Free Member

Ignore the 7stanes- get out in the wilderness.

Pook

Well you could check out the professional advice about shaking small babies around

Or having already looked into that and talked to a number of medical professionals about it, I could find a well supported seat that keeps his head up. And try him in it.

Equally i could reference trusted consumer sources such as which for advice
    which baby seats

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘trying a 7 month old on a bike’ is closed to new replies.