Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Try before Buy?
  • Caher

When selling a bike what precautions do you take to ensure that said buyer does not just ride off with bike? Ring from finger, wallet, car keys, partner as hostage?

nwill1
    Free Member

When I went to pick up my bike I met at a petrol forecourt with cameras, took a photo of sellers car/reg then handed over my car keys so I could take it for a little spin (not out of sight). TBH the bike and car were probably of equal value. I wouldn’t have handed over keys for my new (company) £26k golf!

mrsfry
    Free Member

I Hold the money. Gets counted out infront of him and signed, he comes back i return the cash and he signs for it.

I have trust issues 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

and signed, he comes back i return the cash and he signs for it

Holding the cash makes sense, pointless signing of things doesn’t 🙂

taxi25
    Free Member

Last time I bought a s/h mtb I met the seller at a motorway service station. It was £1800, I looked it over, nothing was broken everything was as described. I didn’t bother riding it around the car park, what would have been the point ? Same thing with the last thing I sold £2000 road bike. The buyer knew what it was, didn’t need to mess about riding it a few hundred yards, just checked it over and paid me the money 😀 . I wouldn’t refuse a potential buyer a test ride, but any bike I sell is an enthusiasts bike and have only had decent people showing up. If you can’t judge people at least a little bit, and show a bit of trust perhaps private sales aren’t for you.
    For what it’s worth in my experience if someone insists on riding your 160mm f/s mtb or carbon fibre top end road bike around the block they aren’t going to buy it anyway.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Holding the cash makes sense, pointless signing of things doesn’t

Well if i am holding the cash, i want proof of the amount of cash i have received and the amount of cash i have returned. It’s not pointless.
    I don’t want some chap saying they gave me £600 when it was only £500

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Try before Buy?’ is closed to new replies.