Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Truvativ/Shimano compatability – chainsets/bb's
  • shinsplints

Right,
    I have a Truvativ Stylo chainset on my bike which came complete with a Truvativ GXP bottom bracket. The bike is around a month old and the bearings in the BB have developed play. I e mailed Wiggle who have said I can get it replaced at their cost or upgrade it and they will pay towards it.
    My question is can I stick a Shimano BB in there or does it have to be another Truvativ GXP (which appear to be made of Dairylea)
    I think that King and Hope have started doing GXP compatible BB's which would make me think you cannot use Shimano with Sram but what do you think ?

Bike is 2009 Charge Duster 8

Cheers, Simon

racing_ralph
    Free Member

shimano does NOT work with truvativ – hope do with an adapter

Simon

Shimano external BBs won't work with Truvativ crank or vice versa.

I think you can get adaptors to use the Hope ones with Truvativ cranks.

I've just gone through my second Truvativ BB in 15 months, think I might try the Hope one next.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Yes you need a specific gxp bottom bracket. Hope do one and they also sell just the shim which converts their normal ht2 one to gxp.

enduro bearings via betd do a replacement bearing with spacer for £20-25 iirc, that makes it work with gxp. You either press old bearings out and new ones in at home, (big vice and assortment of sockets did it for me) or if you post it to them they will do it FOC. Ring them as it is usually in stock but never makes it onto the webshop bit. Mine has lasted about 16 months before just beginning to wobble.

shinsplints

Ok thanks chaps. As I say I have had the bike a month and done 6 rides on it plus Sleepless and its like a wizards sleeve.
    Hope could be the way to go.

MisterT

Go for Hope. I have 2, used hard all year round. the 1st one is 2.5years old, and the 2nd is 1.5yrs. both brilliantly holding up to the gritstone and wet abuse.

Hope is the only one that is easily serviced at home. just remove cranks, pop the outer and inner seals out and slop some new grease in. pop seals back on and brilliant!

all others seem to require special "regreasing tool" – which hikes the cost up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Truvativ/Shimano compatability – chainsets/bb's’ is closed to new replies.