• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Truvativ Stylo SS minimum chainwheel/Alfine hub max cog size questions
  • finnegan
    Free Member

I built my friend an InBred (to his spec) with a 32 tooth Stylo SS crank and an Alfine hub with 20 tooth cog, and he's now decided the gearing doesn't go either high or low enough (!). Now, obviously the right solution is just to say 'MTFU', but…

Obviously I can't fix both 'problems' at once without getting rid of the Alfine, which he wants to keep, so I want to give him the two mutually exclusive (and destructive) alternatives so he can choose whether getting up the hill is more important than the speed he can go down it.

I could address 'I can't go downhill fast enough' by swapping to an 18 tooth cog on the Alfine, but I'm not sure there's a way to instead address the 'I can't get up the hills' problem at all.

Anyone know whether the Alfine can take a cog bigger than 20 teeth, or whether the Stylo SS crank would accept a chainring smaller than 32?

thomthumb
    Free Member

hammerscmidt 😉

psychle
    Free Member

that's what I'm doing… if the required BB ever comes in stock that is! not exactly a cheap solution though 😆

finnegan
    Free Member

<holds head in hands>Oh dear, yes, you're right, and he's a bit of a gadget freak, so might love the idea.</holds head in hands>.

psychle
    Free Member

though his frame won't have the required ICSG mounts will it?

finnegan
    Free Member

I fear that would be little impediment…

psychle
    Free Member

He can't get up hills with a 32 front and easiest (highest?) alfine gear selection? he needs to MTFU tbh 🙂

Del

i run 32/20 and that's very close to granny/1?
    MTFU or DIY would be my answer!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Truvativ Stylo SS minimum chainwheel/Alfine hub max cog size questions’ is closed to new replies.