Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Truing stand – set up
  • singletracksurfer

I have recently got a jobsworth truing stand but don’t think it’s set up right to start with. Planet x are unable to advice or help, so it’s down to the STW collective (I hope).

Would the park tool for calibrating their stand work on this one does anyone know? Or any other idea?

Thanks

munkster
    Free Member

In what way isn’t it set up right?

I have the Jobsworth one and the only thing I can think of for me is that the calipers don’t both hone in on the rim from both sides “equally” but this has never bothered me.

singletracksurfer

Yeah just one caliper is on the rim.

But also the rim is right over to one side of the white bar (which extends out and has the calipers on) but the wheel isn’t that wonky. Surely it should have both calipers come in equally otherwise it would be easy to true the wheel on the piss to one side.

I am a novice at truing wheels so kinda wanted it set up properly so it’s fool/idiot proof.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munkster
    Free Member

otherwise it would be easy to true the wheel on the piss to one side.

Well, that’d be where a dishing tool (or home-made equivalent) came in, rather than using the stand, which I find unsatisfactory.

If the calipers touched both rims on a front wheel (say) then great, but put a rear in and with the different width hub you’d not have that situation again surely? I just true on one side of the rim, flip it round if it really calls for it.

Just to check, you do have the one without the dials don’t you? Not that that would make much difference to the above be honest. You can loosen the two hex bolts holding the caliper to the white bar BTW, if you really want to move it about.

IANAE anyway, I am sure one will be along shortly 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

not used that one BUT

1. the calipers should align or else you will not build the wheel in the correct dish – ie exactly in the middle of the hub- you need to check this with a dishing tool

2. Mine was able to slide to do dish but it annoyed me so i screwed it in the middle so that i was not dishing it wrong – 1 mm out is 2mm out of dish so it was a pain to get it right

scotroutes

Dishing tool or flip the wheel in the stand

singletracksurfer

No dials on my stand.

Yeah that’s why I wondered if a tool, like the park one, was any good for setting the stand up for different hubs.

Ok will try flipping the wheel. Maybe santa will need to bring me a dishing tool as well as a spoke tensioner gauge. Guess they’ll make life easier. God knows I need it.

Thought looking after my own wheels was going to save me money and hassle!

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I’ve been tool shopping all weekend for wheel building. For dishing a wheel Wiggle have their own Lifeline branded one for £20 plus any personal discount you might have would make it cheaper.

granny_ring

For dishing a wheel Wiggle have their own Lifeline branded one for £20 plus any personal discount you might have would make it cheaper.

? Couldn’t find it, got a link please?

burnsybhoy
    Free Member
    granny_ring

Sorry, I must learn to read threads properly, I thought you were on about a truing stand. 🙂

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks burnsybhoy, I can finally retire my corrugated cardboard dishing gauge made from Musson’s instructions in his book! It’s served me well for a good few years but that Lifeline one is a bargain 🙂

ianpv
    Free Member

I built a dishing tool out of plywood from Musson’s instructions, too. It took about 3 minutes, was free, and works really well! when I’ve got the time I’m going to build his stand as it looks a lot better than my cheap minoura one.

I also built a nipple driver out of a spoke, a nipple, and an old piece of tent pole and that works well too.

I’ve not bothered with a tension meter – not sure it is 100% necessary?

onandon
    Free Member

Op, this is what you need to do.

click this link

Stevelol
    Free Member

I also had success making my own dishing guage as directed in ‘the art of wheelbuilding’, piece of cardboard and a spoke, plus a few minutes with a ruler, still rolling 12 months later 😀

singletracksurfer

Stevelol – yeah that’s what I was talking about – would it work on the Jobsworth stand do you know?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Can you adjust the jobsworth stand so the ‘feelers’ are centred? I was almost tempted but had a suspicion it wouldn’t be half as useful as it looked if it wasn’t 100% true.

STATO
    Free Member

Can you adjust the jobsworth stand so the ‘feelers’ are centred? I was almost tempted but had a suspicion it wouldn’t be half as useful as it looked if it wasn’t 100% true.

I think thats what he was asking, using the park guide (£50!!). Personally id just use a wheels i already had and knew were straight.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It is. I just wanted confirmation it was not permanently fixed in a not quite right position.

singletracksurfer

Yes you can adjust the feelers (they are both attached to a movable plate which bolts onto the extending arm).

I’m just not sure (can’t tell) where they need to be to be central to the hub.

Not too sure if any of my wheels are straight tbh 😳

munkster
    Free Member

I’ve (some would say “only”) built around 10 pairs of wheels on my Jobsworth stand now and haven’t felt the need to centre the caliper/feelers so far; choosing to true against one side of the rim at a time as I said above and use a dishing gauge as appropriate.

Just out of interest, what do people feel is wrong (if anything) with doing this if we are keen to get the rim centered between the feelers? If I am missing an obvious trick here I’d be grateful to hear 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve (some would say “only”) built around 10 pairs of wheels

I’ve built none and I’ve had one quick skim through Roger Musson’s book so I feel perfectly qualified to answer 🙂

Sounds like you are doing it right, the idea those feelers are going to do away with the need for a dishing tool is unlikely to be true. I ordered a Jobsworth yesterday because for £50 it sounds like a solid lump of stand and saves me the effort of making one.

bencooper
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what do people feel is wrong (if anything) with doing this if we are keen to get the rim centered between the feelers?

It’s really just a speed thing – taking the wheel in and out of the stand, reversing it etc takes more time than just doing the whole thing in one go.

No big deal if you’re only building a few wheels.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Truing stand – set up’ is closed to new replies.