Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • True Grit
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Anyone else seen it yet?

I really liked it, great film. Thought Matt Damon was pretty good in it.

Has anyone seen the original? How does it compare?

Drac

Going next week maybe, with my parents, supposed to be very good. Not seen the original for years but the version is supposed to be closer to the book which is the cool thing is to say about films.

Raindog
    Free Member

I saw it last Saturday – really enjoyed it, but it could have been longer for me. Thought all the actors were superb, it was well paced, nicely shot and the right balance of humour and tension. Not the best Coen Brothers film, but well worth the price of admission.

sweepy
    Free Member

bloody hell, has anyone not seen the original?

RealMan
    Free Member

bloody hell, has anyone not seen the original?

I haven’t, I hadn’t even heard of it.

Not the best Coen Brothers film

Pretty tough trying to top NCFOM

sweepy
    Free Member

Have you heard of John Wayne? christ I feel so old.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Not seen it yet but being a Coen Brothers film, it’s going to be great.

The original was on 4od the other week, not sure if it’s still on there.

IainAhh
    Free Member

Liked it too.

Beautifully filmed.

Good to see Matt Damon in a character role. He was great in the bourne films but it is the first time I can think of seeing him when you forget it is Matt Damon. (Ment as a compliment.)

z1ppy

FFS **** forum, huge post just went down the spout!

Raindog – Member
    I saw it last Saturday – really enjoyed it, but it could have been longer for me. Thought all the actors were superb, it was well paced, nicely shot and the right balance of humour and tension.

+1

Again I’m surprised you (RM) managed to miss watching the original…

Anyways accents, dialogue & great acting (from everyone, even Damon) made it a brilliant film to watch IMO.
    If you watched the original now (after watching this version), I reckon you’d find it flat and uninteresting, even though the action scene’s are ‘exactly’ the same (to my memory anyways).
    Though as it’s one the g/f’s favorite films, she was felt disappointed by it…

khani
    Free Member

I remember the original, top film! 😀
    M’old. 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

the only time i’ve seen anything with john wayne in it is a poster on the wall of an elderly day centre, lots of reminders of their youth to spark memories.

i’m not trolling… i’m being serious… never seen a film with him in, just the poster in the day unit next to the EMI ward.

khani
    Free Member

not trolling… i’m being serious… never seen a film with him in, just the poster in the day unit next to the EMI ward.

Watch the original, its superb!
    He was big leggy!!!

samuri
    Free Member

The clips of the new one I’ve seen on the telly have *exactly* the same scenes as the original.

RealMan
    Free Member

Again I’m surprised you (RM) managed to miss watching the original…

It was released 23 years before I was born..

I have seen the good the bad and the ugly and a fistful of dollars (I think) though.

samuri
    Free Member

And as an aside, does anyone remember John Wayne in the greatest story ever told?

He was a roman centurian, but there was no knocking the cowboy out of John.

samuri
    Free Member

I have seen the good the bad and the ugly and a fistful of dollars (I think) though.

great. have you seen any John Wayne films?

RealMan
    Free Member

Oh shit yeah thats clint eastwood LOL. I’m going to say no then, I haven’t seen any john wayne films.

samuri
    Free Member

😉

khani
    Free Member

He was a roman centurian, but there was no knocking the cowboy out of John.

He was the best cowboy though!

Not in the same league
    Watch the original, it’s like Zulu, true classic.

RealMan
    Free Member

it’s like Zulu

😕

khani
    Free Member

I’ll say it again
    M’old….

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Watched it today and thought it was superb.

I don’t remember the original but I must have seen it as a child because the plot is very familiar to me.

Coen Bros version is engrossing though; you reach the end before you know it. Full of quirky humour, great acting by leads and bit-parts alike (though the chap with the bullet wound in the leg does ham it up a bit), first-class cinematography…

Recommended.

I’ll need to re-watch the original to see whether it’s The Duke of The Dude who makes the best Rooster Cogburn.

sweepy
    Free Member

First this, then the Dukes of Hazzard on the other thread, now theyre telling me theres a new Hawaii 5-0.
    Modern world- have your own ideas

noteeth
    Free Member

Seeing it tomorrow… Hooray!

joemarshall
    Free Member

It isn’t really a remake of the first film, it is much more another film based on the same book.

Personally I thought it was a better adaptation, the old one steered a bit away from the way that the girl. Is the main character, which makes the story more interesting and less of a straight western.

Stylistically it felt to me like it had a lot in common with the leoni westerns, some of the people I went withholding felt it was a bit slow, I think they’d hate Once Upon A Time in the West (obviously the best western ever)

The book is brilliant by the way. Well worth a read.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

I nearly spat my coffee all over the tele the other night,
    There I was minding my own business when a trailer popped up for True Grit … WTF

Not the John Wayne classic but a remake…. my instant reaction was that some things just should not be done..

and remaking True Grit is one of them things….
    I 2 am Old

For those who have never seen a John Wayne movie ( western in particular ) can I suggest a couple

The Searchers
    The man who shot Liberty Valance

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I thought it was ok- nothing more.
    The original ( I 2 m’old) was great at the time but not sure how it would stand up now.
    Took me a good 5 minutes to tell a word Jeff Bridges was on about!

forgotmename
    Free Member

I thought it was good.

khani
    Free Member

The original ( I 2 m’old) was great at the time but not sure how it would stand up now.

Still good
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN-j4GDqjv4[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

he won an oscar for the role iirc my grandad used to watch John Wayne movies with me , I suppose actually I watched them with him. Great guy …my grandad that is John wayne was a great cowboy actor but a right wing McCarthy squealing Hawk of the highest order. like all hawks he did not enlist like other brave people like james stewart.
    What is that marine film he made?
    I have not seen it for probably 23 years so I would hate to say how good it really is. but he wss not a greta human being

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I avoid all John Wayne films these days…

amt27
    Free Member

how come the Matt Damon character doesn’t die? unlike in the original

kimbers

Saw it last weekend really enjoyed it some of the scenes look almost identival to the john wayne version the acting was better and more realistic if you are gonna pick a Wayne western to watch I’d say the searchers is essential and I’d love to see a coen bros version of that possibly darker and. deeper than ncfom
    In summary excellent film excellent cast but the Wayne version maybe had an extra zing or something I can’t put my finger on

Also made me wanna watch deadwood again

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wayne had something. Like Monroe had something. We wont see their like again.

poppa
    Free Member

Marion, Shirley?

brakes
    Free Member

it’s a good film, a classic western with great characters and stunning cinematography, but the storyline and pace let it down for me.
    there’s no real excitement in it, no tension, and too many humorous parts (not funny, just bits that make you chuckle) – the latter making it too light-hearted for a proper gritty western.
    given that the film is less than 2 hours long, they spend too much time setting the scene and developing the Cockburn character, not leaving enough time for actual bounty hunting and adventure – the bits everyone wants to see in western. there’s no saloon brawl, no crusty women of ill repute, no mexicans, no injuns, no high noon stand-off… I should have guessed, I never did like John Wayne.
    I can’t help but be disappointed.

Northwind

I wasn’t too impressed. Then I didn’t rate the original either. It just didn’t stick with me, some bits were pretty solid but others just plain weren’t convincing. I guess that’s partly due to the source material though, sometimes you need to be a bit less loyal to the original and cut out the crap. And yep, I thought the timing was all broken, if the whole story was given the same room to breathe as the first part that’d have really helped but it just felt rushed.

Jeff Bridges is about a million times better at this than John Wayne though. But then again John Wayne was useless.

May I be the first to say………

Maaaatt Dayyymonnn…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

In “The (allegedley) Greatest Story Ever Told”, the following exchange took place between John Huston (directing) and John (Real name Marion) Wayne:

Wayne: “Surely this man was thuh saan av gaaad”.

Huston: “Yeah, great John. Now say it with more awe”.

Wayne: “Awe, surely this man was thuh saan av gaaad”…

Yeah, great actor, sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘True Grit’ is closed to new replies.