Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • TRP Spyre problems…..
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Seen as Upgrade apparently can’t be arsed replying to emails, I’ll ask here…..

Anyone had an issue with TRP Spyre calipers “sticking” – seems to happen when I apply the front brake sharply. The pads then drag on the rotor for a few seconds afterwards after I release the lever.

I have stripped and cleaned the caliper a couple of times, and bent the spring between the pistons out a bit aswell. Still does it. I thought maybe cos the mount isn’t faced, but it was fine when I first fitted them.

epicyclo

No problem. Plenty offroad use.

damascus
    Free Member

Are they after market pads? Just check to see if they catch anywhere.

My aftermarket Bb7 pads have a straight bit where you insert them but genuine pads are different. I have to trim mine so they don’t catch.

What year are the spyres. In the back of my head I seem to remember the early ones had an issue with flex but I might be wrong. If these are recent then it won’t be that.

Are your cables new? Have you checked for any cuts or nicks in the outer? Check where they go into the shifter to make sure it’s not too tight an angle.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks damascus. They are after market pads, think they’re superstars. That could well be the problem since they never had an issue on the original pads.

The cables are about 6 months old; they’re probably what I’ll check first. Only get the issue on the front though.

I dunno, they appear to operate fine when I’m not riding the thing.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Have a look at the caliper face that the edge of the backing plates run on during braking.

Had some brakes a few years ago that the twin gremlins of corrosion and neglect had lead to a pair of grooves in the caliper matching up with the edges of the pad backing plates. I reckon that under sustained braking the plate had fretted through the paint and into the base material, so it was locking into the groove and wouldn’t release cleanly.

Couple of winters worth of salt didn’t help.

(BB5’s IIRC)

And not mine either.

damascus
    Free Member

My after market pads were superstar too. Pads were great but they needed a small snip to be right.

Compare the two and see if they are exact copies.

NewRetroTom

My Spyres were a bit of a nightmare for not retracting when the cables got full of grit. Now replaced with hydraulics – the difference in power is stunning!

tomd
    Free Member

Mine don’t exactly “stick” but after hard breaking they sometimes skiff a bit. Rattling over some rough tarmac, of which there is plenty around my way, seems to set them right again. I’m not sure exactly causes it, but they’ve had a winter of road salt and zero maintenance so probably that. The breaking performance is still good.

onandon
    Free Member

Yes , after market pads can be the problem. Mine from school racer needs to be filed a bit.
    Decent brakes, not as a good a hydraulic but then they are better than most/ all other cable operated stoppers.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Could be the arm sticking.
    Mine got very gritty and sounded rough.
    Undo cable and check arm on caliper.
    There was a guide on stripping them out on here.
    Personally I didn’t bother and went to hydraulic.
    Max

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘TRP Spyre problems…..’ is closed to new replies.