Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • TRP Spyre, or cable hydraulic or full hydraulic
  • breninbeener

I have a set of Spyres on my tourer. Im looking at upgrading the groupset, either in art or fully.

I think the Spyres work fine, but wouldn i notice any benefits from a set of TRP cable-hydraulic hybrids or go the whole hog and have a shimano hydraulic set-up?

peteimpreza

Having used HyRds and now full hydraulic, go the whole Hogg .

riklegge

Imo…. Full hydraulic is definitely the best braking performance, and because of the self adjusting nature as the pads wear, saves a bit of hassle compared to cable systems.
    However, especially with compression less cables, cable discs (and the combination hydraulic/ cable systems) give good performance that you mention you are happy with.
    If you have the money and want to future proof, I’d get the hydro groupset. If you want to keep costs down a bit, cable is fine.

corroded
    Free Member

As it happens, I’ve just ridden my Spyres down a 20-mile descent in rain. I’ve had them for years but it crystallised a few things for me: braking performance is no better than a set of Ultegra or Dura-ace calipers, except perhaps in the wet thanks to do the discs alone. The main advantage is that you’re not rubbing nice rims with grit.
    On another bike I have Shimano hydros. They simply perform miles better. Go full hydro.

stevious

Kind of depends if you’re buying a whole groupset or just the brakes. The cost difference of full hydro groupsets is much less than standalone brakes.

I have the Hy/Rds and they are definitely loads better than the BB7s they replaced. The full hydros on my wife’s bike are better still, but not that much better that I’d chuck a few hundred quid at them.

breninbeener

Wow, sounds like i have the justification for a whole new groupset!!

leffeboy

Depends on what sort of touring you do a little. If you are off the beaten track then you might want to avoid hydros as bleeding them yourself if something goes wrong is tricky. Cables are easy to fiddle with.

Stoner
    Free Member

What are the current options for SS dropped bar hydraulic brakesets? ie non shifting levers.

zerolight
    Free Member

Like the others, I sold my Spyres and went to RS785. So much better. Sold the Spyres and 105 levers for about £150 and bought the RS785 set for about £250 over a year ago. No brainer with cost to change being just £100.

simondbarnes

What are the current options for SS dropped bar hydraulic brakesets? ie non shifting levers.

TRP Hylex are good.

onandon
    Free Member

I have force hycraulic, ultegra hydraulic and spyres with force levers.

The spyres are the least powerful but I really like them for their ease of set up.
    The biggest issues with hydraulic shifters are the massive levers. I’m yet to find some that are as comfy as non sydraulic.

I guess that will come in the future, but for now make sure you’re able to get on with them.

boblo
    Free Member

Key word is ‘touring’. If it’s really a touring bike, I’d go Spyres for ease of maintenance. You only need to take spare pads if it’s a long one and apart from that, it’s almost the same deal as calipers from a faff/maintenance perspective.

I have two bikes with Spyres and they’re fine. My real touring bike however still has calipers and I haven’t died (yet) despite some pretty long tours.

Stoner
    Free Member

Are they still the only show in town though sdb?

simondbarnes

I think so Stoner

djflexure

Been using Hylex for a few months and like them. Decent value too as they come with rotors.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Do Shimano do a road hydraulic disc brake these days that isn’t flat mount ? They will only fit on a frame and fork designed for flat mount brakes .

simondbarnes

Do Shimano do a road hydraulic disc brake these days that isn’t flat mount ?

Yes. The 505 or 685 levers are both available with post mount (785) calipers.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If I had a disc braked drop bar bike that came with mechanical or hybrid brakes, I’d either upgrade to full integrated hydraulics (eg. Shimano 505s, 685s etc.), or do it on the cheap with a pair of TRP Hylex and some bar-end shifters.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Trouble with the self adjusting hydro brakes is when you are riding in the real gloop and where you can’t slacken off the brakes to a compromise between rubbing and performance.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘TRP Spyre, or cable hydraulic or full hydraulic’ is closed to new replies.