Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • TRP Spyre brakes and brake track depth
  • breninbeener

I have a couple of bikes with Spyres fitted. The bikes have shimano 160 centrelock disc rotors.

Using the TRP adapters, the pads seems to sweep the disc and maybe 3-4mm of the spokes of the rotor.

Am i doing something wrong? Should i shim the caliper up a little?

tillydog
    Free Member

I think the Spyres take the same pads as the old Shimano Deore hydraulic brakes, so will suit the wide track width discs.

I further think that centrelock discs are available in both wide and narrow versions – if you have the narrow version, then you will get what you describe.

Not sure if link will work Shimano Disc Brake Compatability

scruff
    Free Member

Yes old shape shimano pads on mine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    breninbeener

Is that old shape pads or old shape discs?

Ok, i think i need the deeper brake track discs. A little annoying as thats how the bike came from the vendor….

scruff
    Free Member

Old shape pads

austen

I think mine run slightly on the disk spokes, with original pads and rotors straight from the Kona factory.

Thankfully I’m not bothered about achieving maximum braking force on the CX. I do have some old M525 rotors somewhere that I might try, but they’re awful heavy dinner plates!

breninbeener

It wasnt so much about max braking force, but about not damaging the spindley rotor spokes. It doesnt seem loke any current shimano centrelock has a deep enough track

tillydog
    Free Member

What is the part number of the discs you have? Do the pads line up with the outside of the disc correctly?

SM-RT54S, SM-RT30S & SM-RT10S appear to be centrelock and are listed as wide track in the link above.

All the current wide track discs seem to be ‘Resin Pad Only’ though, if that bothers you.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m running M515 type pads and RT64’s. Seems fine to me,

I originally had the OE TRP rotors but swapped them out for Shimano. The TRP rotors were not confidence inspiring under heavy braking – it sounded like they were flapping. They probably weren’t but once you’ve been spooked by the sound of something like a rotor, it’s time to change it in my book.

I’m actually running Uber’s Race Matrix at the moment and love it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘TRP Spyre brakes and brake track depth’ is closed to new replies.